Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,806   Online: 847

Page 1 of 21 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

HP5+, Rodinal, Minimising Grain ?

Hi all,

I was hoping to draw on the wealth of experience here.

I like to shoot HP5 and process in Rodinal (substitute) because I love the 'age' that it gives the images. Only problem is that I tend to get quite noticeable grain, (I previously processed FP4+ in Rodinal with great results).

Have read on many sites that this is common for this combination, but is there a preferred method to at least minimise the grain clustering?

Have consulted the 'Darkroom Cookbook' and 'Film Developers Cookbook'.

My method has always been Rodinal 1:25, 20c, 6 minutes, agitation first minute, 10s every minute after.

This is the result. Cheers :-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371717421.740576.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	70550
    Last edited by Ming Rider; 06-20-2013 at 04:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The combo is what it is.

Minimizing exposure and development may help.

Switching up to medium format will help. Similarly getting closer to your subject may help, say head and shoulders portraits instead of full length, helps make subject details more prominent than grain.

Switching to Delta 400 or TMY or TX or back to FP4 may help you refine your results too.

But, part of the 'age' or look or feel or whatever you want to call it is the grain. And, nice sharp grain actually helps photos look sharper.

Everything in the system affects the perceived graininess. Lighting, lens contrast, flare, how its printed...

My advice though, before you change anything, is to put the print on the wall (thumbtack or frame) above the sofa, get back off the sofa and with your feet on the floor and standing up straight look at the print and ask yourself does it look good? Leave it there for a week. If the grain still bothers you after a week, try one of the fixes above.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's an inherently grainy combination. If you insist on that film+developer combo, then try developing at 18C and using less agitation, e.g. 30s at start then for 5s every 3 minutes. Obviously you will need to develop longer, and it will change the tonal curve somewhat, maybe to something you don't like any more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go with 1:50 and lower temperatures.
    HP5+, 400 ASA, 23 min at 16 C.
    There is an article (http://home.arcor.de/piu58/fotoweb/a...ze/Rodinal.pdf) about Rodinal development with lower temperatures, but only in German.
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can also use grain to your advantage, found this this morning, not HP5 (it was shot on TX) but close enough to get the idea across. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikolaj...ic/6121554162/

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    The combo is what it is.
    Correct. Accept it. Avoiding overexposure, and developing to a slightly lower gradient helps a little, but it is what it is. HP5+ is a fast film. And Rodinal is a high pH, low sulfite developer. Put it all together and you get grain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't like grain then I can't think of a worse combination. HP5+ is by nature a grainy film, grainier than 400TX. You have at least two options. Switch to FP4+ and Rodinal or HP5+ and a fine grain developer such as Ilford ID-11.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm

Grain and Rodinal

Hi

I don't have a direct comment, but you might try Spuersinn HCD-2 and HCD-S developer, available from www.ag-photograhic.co.uk or www.keyphoto.com (both of whom will ship abroad). HCD-s produces bright, crisp iamges on a wide range of films, with good tonal range. but you can vary the degree of graininess you want by varying dilution, temp and whther you use it as one or two bath. Full instructions included..and it does push and pull process well. It is German-made, so they understand the Rodinal users, and if it suits your photography might be an interesting alternative.

Dave

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    You can shoot it on medium format. You can salt the Rodinal which will soften grain. You can enlarge with a Dichro. You can print on matt paper.

But it may be better to get in bed with XTOL at 1:2 or 1:3.

Rodinal is what you call a honest grain developer.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 06-20-2013 at 12:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhealey View Post
    Hi

I don't have a direct comment, but you might try Spuersinn HCD-2 and HCD-S developer, available from www.ag-photograhic.co.uk or www.keyphoto.com (both of whom will ship abroad). HCD-s produces bright, crisp iamges on a wide range of films, with good tonal range. but you can vary the degree of graininess you want by varying dilution, temp and whther you use it as one or two bath. Full instructions included..and it does push and pull process well. It is German-made, so they understand the Rodinal users, and if it suits your photography might be an interesting alternative.

Dave
    Welcome to APUG Dave.

Page 1 of 21 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin