Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,629   Online: 776

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, sitting in a cool garage on a concrete slab that stays cool. Could be. Strange that this topic is coming up on APUG right now. I was just reading about Becquerel's method:

http://www.alternativephotography.co...-daguerreotype

and thinking about all the silver that's in that jug of fixer in my garage, along with a stack of un-etched copper circuit boards. But I don't know enough about silver plating to try it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok so I dumped everything out and did a roll of acros with fresh one shot everything. Same ilford rapid fix concentrate. When I poured the fix it was pink as hell. I thought I had noticed a pink tint before - put hard to tell with dark funnel and gallon of fix I was dumping it back into diluting the pink. Anyhow there was no pink in either the dev or the stop.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    steve barry
    my stuff

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The pink is normal AH dyes from Acros. Especially noticeable with strong fix. Not a problem.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sweet. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, the same thing happened to me yesterday. I poured my 1+4 dilution of the ilford fixer (that I had been using for about 1 month)into a graduate, and it was black. The last time I used it, just a week ago, it was absolutely fine. I do not use any stop bath (only water), so I could not have contaminated it with the stop bath. I use my developer as a one shot chemical, so I doubt I could have contaminated the fixer with it. Although it is summer, the chemicals seem to be only at 75 degrees when I start so I don't think it is the heat. I have been using the Ilford rapid fixer for years, but I never had this happen before. Happily, the new batch I mixed up seemed fine.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never seen any fixer go black, period - so I don't know what you guys have got going on over there. :-)

Even approaching it scientifically, it's basically ammonium thiosulphate. What actually could make it go black, chemically? Someone like PE or other will have to chime in.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Looks quite normal to me, silver particles plate out on the sides of plastic bottles and glass but it happens quicker and faster with plastics. Ironically it's benificial as it reduces the silver level in the fixer itself.

Ian
    That's good to know. I, too, store my fix in plastic containers (reused Kodak chemical bottles from a lab). I use the two-bath fixer system and it was my first bottle of fixer where the bottle turned black. I figured it was the silver particles, but I thought it was a bad thing and time to replace the bottle. I still have the bottle (figured I'd clean it one day), and will put it back into service
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well I came here to ask this very question, but it turns out I'm not the only one to find their Ilford fixer suddenly dark one day.

Mine has been sitting unused for half a year (I know, so bad) in the laundry room which does experience temperature fluctuations, but it really only turned last night after an unexpected cold wave. At least that's when I first noticed it dark. It was clear a few days ago.

But I've actually been using this batch since 2010 so it's long long overdue for replacement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin