Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,307   Online: 893

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

illford rapid fixer..... has turned

I am starting to feel like I only post with weird problems. but.

Went to develop some film tonight, noticed this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13717967706290.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	70583

Happened overnight - went from clear to this. Batch of fix is about 30 rolls in. I know, I should store in a glass bottle, one shot the fix, etc. etc. but I have been reusing it for 10 years.

Why did it turn black?
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can you give us a bit more details about this black liquid? Is it a suspension of particles (possibly Silver?), or did some soluble dye form? Do you have any means of measuring/estimating pH of this?
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    but I have been reusing it for 10 years
    heck! Ilford aren't going to get rich from you!. No idea why it has suddenly turned, but I think the best way to use fixer is to keep it neat, make up working strength to the quantity you need = 1l or so, then keep track of what you have used it for combined with "clip test". When the fixer clearing time reaches twice what it was when you started, discard and make a new batch of working solution. I find my monitored capacity is a little under what Ilford suggest, but there again at twice clear time from fresh, there probably is still some capacity left. Fixer isn't so expensive that I am tempted to stretch it to the very last sheet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebarry View Post
    I am starting to feel like I only post with weird problems. but.

Went to develop some film tonight, noticed this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13717967706290.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	70583

Happened overnight - went from clear to this. Batch of fix is about 30 rolls in. I know, I should store in a glass bottle, one shot the fix, etc. etc. but I have been reusing it for 10 years.

Why did it turn black?
    When you state that you've been re-using it for 10 years, do you mean this particular batch or the brand and method? If this batch, WOW! Thats frugal, and understandable that it finally turned.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hahaha no 30 rolls apx on this batch. I reuse a gallon of fix for 50 rolls and then switch it out - been doing that for 10 years is what I meant.

No way to test ph. Don't think it's dye... And it's not silver. I'm sure there are silver flecks at the bottom... But this stuff looks like strong coffee.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only thing I can think of is contamination from stop bath or developer. Did you inadvertantly dump something in you shouldn't have? I did a quick test, the only thing that turned my fixer was pouring stop bath in.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rick-it turned black like this? Was it immediate? I'm not going to say there is no way I dumped stop into the fix... But my stop is full and I would never have dumped fix down the drain. I reuse both stop and fix in gallon jugs and they are both full. Stop is indicator stop and it's still yellow - and 30 rolls in too. So I would think it would be pink if I dumped dev in the stop. It did not turn black immediately either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the fixer itself black, or just the bottle? I have seen what appeared to be silver plating out on some plastics. That also looks like a milk jug sort of container which allows air to pass and may not be the best thing for photo chemicals, (it's the worst for a developer). The PETE soda bottles or lab grade polyethylene would be better containers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it turned immediatly, which doesn't help you. Only other variable would be water per chance? Do you use tap or distilled water? Regardless, I do believe it's time to dump and mix fresh.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks quite normal to me, silver particles plate out on the sides of plastic bottles and glass but it happens quicker and faster with plastics. Ironically it's benificial as it reduces the silver level in the fixer itself.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin