Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,034   Online: 793

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

35mm cassettes, metal or plastic?

I've ordered the Tri X that a fellow member told us of, and I've found my Watson loader. Somewhere I also have a Lloyd. A couple questions: When last I loaded film, IIRC only metal cassettes were available. Are the plastic variety preferable, or the metal? Also, back in the day any local camera store could probably provide cannisters free or at a nominal cost. I'd like to load up most or all of the film, and refrigerate the cassettes, but not without cannisters! Any one seen a source?

I seem to recall getting some lengthwise scratches with film loaded with the Watson, this was on Ektachrome I'd loaded for a European trip. I was NOT a happy camper. Any suggestions? The scratches weren't perfectly straight as I would expect from a camera film gate problem; I wonder if jostling the loader while loading might cause this. Would buying the loader from Freestyle, Bobinquick, be a real improvement?

Many thanks for any ideas! This forum is a wonderful resource.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used both metal and plastic cassettes. There was only one time when there was a problem and that was with a plastic cassette. The end cap began to untwist as the camera was being loaded. Never any problems with metal cassettes. At one time Kodak sold the best reloadable metal cassettes. The metal was quite sturdy. Today's reloadable cassettes, both plastic and metal, are a bit flimsy. Before you buy a lot of any brand see if you check their quality. As with all things you get what you pay for.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you are going to use reusable cassettes, then I recommend metal. The plastic ones are crap with lots of problems. Please also note that by using a Watson film loader you are introducing scratch problems. A better way is to load individual cassettes by hand in a changing bag.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I have used both metal and plastic cassettes. There was only one time when there was a problem and that was with a plastic cassette. The end cap began to untwist as the camera was being loaded. Never any problems with metal cassettes. At one time Kodak sold the best reloadable metal cassettes. The metal was quite sturdy. Today's reloadable cassettes, both plastic and metal, are a bit flimsy. Before you buy a lot of any brand see if you check their quality. As with all things you get what you pay for.
    Thanks for the info. I remember using Kodak cassettes, until they went to what they called "staked" end caps. Grrrrr.... BTW, I did find a source for canisters: FilmCanistersForSale.com They have them in black, clear, etc, at .39 each, plus shipping, of course. Seems that the crafty sorts really like them, make rockets, maybe even antipersonnel devices out of them. Just kidding about the antipersonnel devices, but not the rockets.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    The plastic ones are crap with lots of problems. Please also note that by using a Watson film loader you are introducing scratch problems. A better way is to load individual cassettes by hand in a changing bag.
    What is it about the Watson that introduces scratch problems or are you saying that all bulk loaders introduce scratch problems? What is it about plastic cassettes that are crap?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    What is it about the Watson that introduces scratch problems or are you saying that all bulk loaders introduce scratch problems? What is it about plastic cassettes that are crap?

Thanks

pentaxuser
    I've heard of scratch probs with Watson loaders from a couple of people who've used them, though I've not used one myself. My own loader is a Konica, seems very well made and have had no problems. And no probs with plastic cassettes bought new and empty for the purpose. (Haven't used the loader for a while, as so few films available as bulk lengths now.)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post

Thanks

pentaxuser
    If you get even a tiny amount of grit on the gate it will scratch the film and my students have tried both plastic and metal cassettes and plastic can undo/leak light.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. I do have a Watson but have yet to use it. However from my brief examination of it, it seems that once the top hinge has been closed and the gate can then be opened the film runs through more or less straight without touching anything so my assumption is that the Watson has less chance of scratching than some other loaders where the film moves around corners on its way out.

I have plastic re-useable cassettes which have ends that screw on quite tight and have never had an end unscrew. Maybe I have been lucky

pentaxuser

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before we mix up things:

How many different versions are available anyway?
    Am I right that only the plastic and the metal versions by AP are available or are there still more on the market?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Concerning that Watson loader:
    They made a special version to enable you to control for scratching during your loading...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2824848...n/photostream/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin