Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,946   Online: 954

Shooter
    Large Format

Bleach and redevelop impossible integral film

Hi

I am trying to Bleach and redevelop impossible silver shade film to intensify and tone them

I have a number that I peeled to get the b/w transparency which I have bleached in ferricyanide/potassium bromide
    then I redeveloped in multigrade developer which all works ok except that the emulsion starts to lift

Has anybody got a suggestion for how to fix the emulsion layer so it dose not lift leaving me free to redevelop/tone etc

thanks

robin
    London

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can try hardening the film before you bleach(a few ml Formalin per liter of water would do that), or you can try a different rehalogenating bleach. Any C41 or E6 bleach should work, just make sure it's not a BLIX. See here for a recipe (you can leave out the Ammonium Nitrate).
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Rudeofus

I have some tetenal hardener somewhere
    do you think that would work ?

i also found 500ml Buffered Formalin 10% on the web in England
    would that be an appropriate dilution

thanks

robin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrigham View Post
    I have some tetenal hardener somewhere
    do you think that would work ?
    Tetenal hardener is Alum based which means it needs pH lower than 5 to work. Since it is normally used together with fixer, the hardener alone will likely have very low pH. Too low a pH can also soften the gelatin, which means you may actually make the problem worse if you are not careful with this product.

Even if you get the pH up to 4.5 or so I still can't tell you whether it will completely solve your problem but it will be an important step in the right direction. Try it with a test clip before you commit a whole roll of film.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrigham View Post
    i also found 500ml Buffered Formalin 10% on the web in England
    would that be an appropriate dilution
    PhotoEngineer once gave a recipe for E6 final rinse which asked for a few ml of Formalin 37% per liter of final rinse. With your 10% Formalin you should use about 20 ml per liter hardener. Don't use 10% Formalin as it is likely too strong for hardening, and make sure you read the safety instructions before using Formalin.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    There's a Rollei product, RBM5, a glutaraldehyde based hardener, to be used in the developer.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In advisng the use of an Aldehyde as hardener you all assume the receptive layer to have gelatin as binder.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin