Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,861   Online: 825

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Rollei Retro 400s - Reciprocity Failure

Hi - I have a few Rollei Retro 400S film (120) around that I'd like to use soon, but what I shoot is a combination of landscape with some day-long exposures, for which I need to account for reciprocity failure. I haven't been able to find information on this subject for this film. Is there anyone out there familiar with the correction necessary for reciprocity failure ? Or any documentation to support it?

Thanks much.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Gabriel,

I wrote an answer via APUG mail. A part of this mail may be of more general interest:
    ~~
    It is quite easy to determine the Schwarzschild exponent for yourself.
    - take a shot of a grey area (e.g. a greycard) with an exposure time of 1/4 s. No exposure failure is expected at this time, but we are close to the border-
    - stop down 10 stops. If you don't have enough stops you may use a filter or wait for less light
    - make an exposure series for that 10 stops less light on the film, starting with the 1024-fold exposure time, in half stops
    - Process the film and look for the time which gives the same grey on the negative like the 1/4 s shot.
    - The reciprocity failure is then 1 - (more stops needed with the long time) / 10 <- The 10 comes from using 10 stops less light.

Example
    - starting exposure 1/4s with f/2
    - stop down to f/22 (7 stops) and use an additional 8x grey filter. [Or simply use only 7 stops difference]
    - The calculated exposure time is then 256s [32s for 7 stops]
    - make a shots with 256, 362, 512, 724, 1024, 1448, 2048 s [32, 45, 64, 90, 128, 180, 256 s]
    - look for the grey tone which is similar to the 1/4s, f/2. Let us assume it is 1024s.
    - You need 2 stops more (256s -> 1024s), the rec. failure p is 1-(2/10) = 0.8 .
    - The same for 7 stops would give around 90s for the equivalent grey tone, which is 1.5 stops more. p = 1- (1.5/7) = 0.78.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Uwe -
    Thanks so much for your response. I've never done this but it looks very doable. I'll let you know how everything works out.
    cheers.
    Gabriel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    RETRO400 / ROLLEI IR 400 [same film] - This film has a very high reciprocity failure. While we have not done precise tests, the failure starts at around 1/2sec. It climbs rapidly at the 5-sec mark.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin