Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,975   Posts: 1,523,639   Online: 1087

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should cut out the plastic sleeves instead of trying to pull out the negatives if they are sticking. Sleeves are cheap.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd suggest using the paper file pages which are available. These allow the negative strips to 'breathe' far more than the plastic sleeves. The paper may well be less protective than the plastic in the long term (many decades), but I have been using both sorts of sleeves for nearly forty years without noticeable problems - I have lived only in an easy climate though.

The gelatine and emulsion coating of the plastic film will have the same moisture content as it's surroundings, however if the humidity is very high then the film may not dry out enough to withstand repeated handling. If this seems to be the case in future then it will be worth looking at using a hardening-fixer to toughen the emulsion chemically. This is a perfectly legitimate way to cope with climatic conditions and the only (slight) downsides are a few more minutes fixing and washing time.
    Last edited by MartinP; 06-24-2013 at 05:20 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    35mm
    High humidity is the culprit.
    It would be better to use glassine sleeves and some silica gel to lower humidity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you do have access to somewhere that has humidity control, that would be the place to finish drying the negatives and sleeving them.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've been preaching the gospel against those plastic negative pages for 40 years, on exactly that count.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a similar experience when I accidently mixed photo-flo at 1:20 instead of 1:200. There was sticky soap on the negs! After watching the plastic sleeves scratch some c-41 negs, I stopped using them altogether. I put my negs in envelopes between slips of acid free paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd suggest OP to dry it overnight and try this again.

I live in HUMID Florida and have not experienced this. Of course my house is air conditioned and OP lives in India, so that may be a factor. I understand electrical service is not that reliable and A/C is not commonly in use in many parts of the country.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I live in FL too, and never experienced this. My house is air conditioned too....but I have developed film without power for days, outside, and never had this problem.

From the pictures...That looks like ALOT of water would have to still be on those negatives...like a visible amount of water still on the negative?

I am with Chris - looks like maybe way too much photo-flo to me too. The last picture, is that dried on the negative? It is shiny right? Or am I crazy?
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well, seeing as you live in Mumbai and it is summer there, the best thing you could probably do is get a hairdryer and use that. Even in Florida the humidity isn't 100% which is what you may be experiencing. If the humidity is close to 100% the negs just won't dry without a little help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin