Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,588   Online: 985

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

marks on film/sticking in archival sleeves

I just developed a roll of black and white film for the first time yesterday. I let the film dry for about an hour a half, than cut the film and loaded it onto Printfile Archival sleeves. The negatives where not going into the sleeves easily and they had to be forced in. I think the negatives had not yet dried completely so the emulsion side was still a bit sticky.

Now the negatives seem stuck in the sleeves:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QCefX9H.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	70641
    I can force them out with a bit of effort but they have marks on them:

Name:	5CH9U4r.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	70642

Name:	6ABcrWi.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	70643
    I tried cleaning one of the strips with water and wiping with a microfibre cloth, which cleaned the marks, but it would still stick onto the sleeves.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make sure the film is completely dry before cutting and sleeving. I always wait 12-24 hours.

For now, don't re-sleeve your strips. Hang them for awhile longer. Don't try to pull the strips out. Use a blade to cut along the edge of the negatives. Then, use a fresh sleeve. Once wet, I've never had any luck with a sleeve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The reason they "seem stuck in the sleeve" is because they are.

First, leave the film to dry longer. Resist the temptation to sleeve your freshly processed film. Moisture often accumulates in the sprockets or elsewhere on the roll, especially at the bottom. If you're in a hurry to print freshly processed film, use a hair dryer at a distance and on low heat but remember you may be blowing stuff onto your wet negs that you don't want to do.

As far as sleeving, my preference is glassine over plastic. (BH in NYC has glassine sleeves, among other outfits that sell them). But once you're stuck, rather than forcing it out, get some photo-flo solution (Kodak), mix a capfull in a pint or so of water, carefully slit the sleeve open as best you can without forcing it off the stuck image, then immerse the sleeve in that solution until it either comes loose on its own or you can gently pry the sleeve off the film. Rewash it, photo-flo it and hang it out to really thoroughly dry in a preferably dust-free environment.
    Take it light ;>)
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OUCH!

I am really sorry to hear about your problem. On the other hand welcome to APUG.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You MUST make sure the film strips are completely dry before handling them and putting them in the sleeves. Having them dry to touch isn't actually good enough.... When films are not completely dry, emulsions (imaging surface) is actually very soft and will scratch very easily. If they are excessively high in moisture content (like yours), they will stick like that.

You can soak them in water and dry them overnight. DO NOT rub them with your microfiber cloth or anything else for that matter. You'll just damage that much more.

Really... dry overnight... it's the safest way.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1.5 hours is not long enough. I know they may feel dry to the touch but they aren't dry all the way through yet. It takes hours for this to happen. Sorry you had to learn this the hard way! Don't let it discourage you.

Shooter
    35mm
    I rewashed the negatives in a tray than hung them up to dry again and left them for the whole night. Still had the same issue in the morning, the plastic sleeves stick onto the emulsion side and leave marks.

Anybody else having this problem with the plastic Printfile sheets from FreestylePhoto?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Santaji View Post
    I rewashed the negatives in a tray than hung them up to dry again and left them for the whole night. Still had the same issue in the morning, the plastic sleeves stick onto the emulsion side and leave marks.

Anybody else having this problem with the plastic Printfile sheets from FreestylePhoto?
    Are you sleeving your negatives in an area of high humidity? If so, any closely fitted sleeves may be a challenge.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I'm located in Mumbai, India and the weather is very humid right now.

Shooter
    35mm
    In warm conditions, wearing fluffless cotton photographic gloves can keep any moisture from the hands away from the film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin