Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,082   Online: 1101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FP4+ and Ilfosol 3

Went to the DC Calumet, to pick up some HC-110. They didn't have it, but had a bottle of Ilfosol 3. Ilford recommends 4.25 minutes, and I don't like processing times under 5-6 minutes, especially since I plan on using a 4 -120 roll tank. Since I've never used it, I plan on trying one in a single roll tank, but I still think 4.25 seems a little short. I shot it at just under box speed (100). Anyone with any experience with this combination? If so, are you finding 4.25 correct?
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I do large format fp4 for 11 minutes in Ilfosol 3, constant agitation with a presoak.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill- which dilution, temperature, and what speed are you shooting it at?
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eddie - maybe use the 1+14 dilution. Ilford says 7:30 for FP4 (see link below). Do some tests first, of course.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/201142795941192.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael- I'm wondering what they mean by a small trade off in image quality at the higher dilution. I may try a roll, at each dilution, and see how "small".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tough to say. Perhaps slightly grainier, or slightly flatter gradation. Whatever differences are likely very small. It's a high pH developer and according to Ilford is oriented a little more in the sharpness direction vs fine grain. They don't recommend it for pushing (in case you were planning on that).

Didn't they have any ID-11/D-76 ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This was the only film developer they had- a 500ml bottle. I asked for HC-110, but the salesperson said Kodak hasn't made it in over 5 years. Go figure...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    This was the only film developer they had- a 500ml bottle. I asked for HC-110, but the salesperson said Kodak hasn't made it in over 5 years. Go figure...
    Technically, they are accurate about HC-110.

Kodak licensed it to Champion (in North America) in the mid 2000s.

So all the HC-110 we have seen in North America in the last few years was manufactured by Champion (in a former Kodak plant, by former Kodak employees), but sold by Kodak.

Then Kodak went into bankruptcy, with Champion owed a huge amount of money.

The very most recent HC-110 is packaged in new packaging in Germany. The packaging is apparently very similar to Tetenal manufactured product sold in Europe, but the HC-110 seems to be unchanged.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, Matt, but that's not what he meant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Eddie, I saw a "Moving Sale" email/flyer for the Rockville store.
    I assume the DRoom section is nil?

Is there anything worth checking left up there for us apuggers???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin