I found a Nikor that holds 12 4x5 sheets. It is just an evergrown 35. Takes 1 qt of liquid. Make sure you get the band to hold the sheets on the reel.
Previously used a jobo as an inversion but it was much harder to load, took more solution, and only did 6 sheets.
I also got a free set of two Arkay tanks and the water jacket from a kind neighbor. Arkay made me a third tank and an 8 sheet hangar rack for a bunch of money. But it is nice to know they are still around. The system works well. Also got a water jacket, hangar rack, and one tank for 20 sheets 4x5. I need two more tanks for it.
Last edited by Ronald Moravec; 01-22-2005 at 08:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.
Reason: addition line
I was loaned a Nikor and had trouble with it scratching negs from the central portion of the cage. I bought the Combi tank and now successfully use this in daylight at the kitchen sink.
It wasn't love at first sight, I have now learnt the quirks and am happy to report that I do get consistent, evenly processed results. I use 1 litre of chemical rather than the recommended 1200cc. It has been used for normal processing and using partial stand.
I fill and empty through the top nozzle using the supplied funnel. This method evens up dev time somewhat. The tank takes 40-50s to fill and empty. Opening up the valve so that it almost detatches is risky, but speeds things up! Once the film is fixed, I remove the lid and fill/empty that way.
There was a long thread on these a while ago. Can't find it quickly, but it seemed to get a lot of positive reviews.
If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284
I've gone further that this with this concept. With a bit more work, you can pretty easily put a light trap into a second cap and use these as daylight fill tanks. The ones I have for 9x12 cm and 4x5 are made from 1 1/2" black ABS drain pipe, with matching caps; inside one cap is glued a piece of 1/8" thick black ABS sheet (mine is textured on one side, and the textured side is toward the filler), and a center drilled hole has a short length of gray PVC pipe (attached with transition cement, specifically for connecting ABS to PVC) which in turn has a PVC cap. I've tested these tanks, they are completely light tight, and though they require six ounces of developer for each sheet, when you work with high dilutions as I routinely do, or use a reusable developer such as Diafine, that requirement isn't a big problem. With a little additional work, it would be possible to build a core onto the other cap that would reduce the liquid capacity, possibly to as little as two ounces per sheet.
Originally Posted by noseoil
Oh, and I don't glue either cap on -- they're adquately liquid tight with just a friction fit, and the entire unit is much easier to keep clean if it comes apart.
Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.