Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,982   Online: 1163

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I found a Nikor that holds 12 4x5 sheets. It is just an evergrown 35. Takes 1 qt of liquid. Make sure you get the band to hold the sheets on the reel.

Previously used a jobo as an inversion but it was much harder to load, took more solution, and only did 6 sheets.

I also got a free set of two Arkay tanks and the water jacket from a kind neighbor. Arkay made me a third tank and an 8 sheet hangar rack for a bunch of money. But it is nice to know they are still around. The system works well. Also got a water jacket, hangar rack, and one tank for 20 sheets 4x5. I need two more tanks for it.
    Last edited by Ronald Moravec; 01-22-2005 at 08:48 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addition line

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was loaned a Nikor and had trouble with it scratching negs from the central portion of the cage. I bought the Combi tank and now successfully use this in daylight at the kitchen sink.
    It wasn't love at first sight, I have now learnt the quirks and am happy to report that I do get consistent, evenly processed results. I use 1 litre of chemical rather than the recommended 1200cc. It has been used for normal processing and using partial stand.

I fill and empty through the top nozzle using the supplied funnel. This method evens up dev time somewhat. The tank takes 40-50s to fill and empty. Opening up the valve so that it almost detatches is risky, but speeds things up! Once the film is fixed, I remove the lid and fill/empty that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was a long thread on these a while ago. Can't find it quickly, but it seemed to get a lot of positive reviews.

http://www.jandcphoto.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=222
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Marko, you might also consider making some development tubes from a plumbing supply store's materials. They are just black plastic drain pipe with a cap on one end and a removable plug in the other. You would have to work in a blacked out bathroom or something similar at night to handle film, but these tubes give very even development, are cheap to make and are easy to use.

Get some 40mm or 50mm inside diameter drain line and cut it into 150mm lengths. Then glue a cap on one end and find a screw in type of plug fitting for the other end, this lets you work in a lighted room once the film is loaded. A water bath is used to keep temperatures constant and the tubes just float and spin in the water.
    I've gone further that this with this concept. With a bit more work, you can pretty easily put a light trap into a second cap and use these as daylight fill tanks. The ones I have for 9x12 cm and 4x5 are made from 1 1/2" black ABS drain pipe, with matching caps; inside one cap is glued a piece of 1/8" thick black ABS sheet (mine is textured on one side, and the textured side is toward the filler), and a center drilled hole has a short length of gray PVC pipe (attached with transition cement, specifically for connecting ABS to PVC) which in turn has a PVC cap. I've tested these tanks, they are completely light tight, and though they require six ounces of developer for each sheet, when you work with high dilutions as I routinely do, or use a reusable developer such as Diafine, that requirement isn't a big problem. With a little additional work, it would be possible to build a core onto the other cap that would reduce the liquid capacity, possibly to as little as two ounces per sheet.

Oh, and I don't glue either cap on -- they're adquately liquid tight with just a friction fit, and the entire unit is much easier to keep clean if it comes apart.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin