Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,841   Online: 878

Shooter
    Multi Format

Making Kodak Film

I just wanted to recommend Bob Shanebrook's book Making Kodak Film. The book is out of print and my understanding is it won't be printed again so get em while you can.

I received my copy a few days ago and have read it cover to cover a few times already. It is easy to read, has lots of good diagrams and is full of wonderful photographs of every part of the operation. The reader comes away with an appreciation for just how incredibly complicated and delicate the end to end process is. The machinery alone is incredible. That it all works is truly mind boggling.

One can only imagine what Eastman Park was like in the heyday, when not only was the scale of coating operations massive (films and paper) but armies of scientists were busy doing research on emulsions, developers...

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will second your recommendation, Michael. I also bought a copy. Excellent money spent! It's the first resource I pull out whenever someone asks me why I still prefer using "low-tech" film for photography. Works every time.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonderful book. I have my copy too! One thing you can't see in the book is the real machines in action. That was a real sight to behold!

My best wishes to Bob and to all who bought his book.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Very pleased with the book. Money well spent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too have a copy and have enjoyed reading it. If you have any interest in learning how quality film was manufactured this is a very informative book with a bunch of very good pictures.

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought the book not long after it was released and count it as one of the better photography books I own. Shame if it will not be reprinted as that probably means that in a year or so we'll see copies being flogged on Amazon and eBay for exorbitant sums. I'd much rather see authors get the money than carpetbaggers. OzJohn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great book with lots of nice photos detailing the processes. I got mine a little while back and requested it signed too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had one, loaned it out to a fellow photogrpaher and am having a challenge getting it back, so two of us obviously like it.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just bought one and Mr. Shanebrook asked me in an email how I heard about his book. I told him I saw these posts on APUG of course!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin