Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,520   Online: 1035

Shooter
    35mm

Yet another XTOL clone

Hello

After various experimenting with PC developers I want to share following recipe

RD-105
    Sodium Sulfite 50g
    Ascorbic Acid 8g
    Phenidone 0.15g
    Borax 15g
    Sodium Citrate 10g
    Potassium Bromide 0.5g
    Water 1l
    pH=8.6

The developer has a strong buffer on the basis of Borax and Sodium Citrate. Produce negatives with fine grain, normal contrast and very good sharpness. Starting dev.time 6-7min at 20C

Kodak Double-X @200 in RD-105 6min

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I thought Kodak stopped producing Double-X decades ago. They replaced it with Tri-X. Where did you find Double-X?
    Also, have you tried reducing the pH some? 8.6 is high for a PC developer.
    What does Sodium Citrate do differently to image-quality compared to other alkalies such as Borax or metaborate? It's seldom used in developers, so I'm curious.
    As an experiment, I suggest reducing Phenidone to 0.1 g (instead of 0.15), because that will make ratios closer to what I've found gives finest grain.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing this. It's an interesting PC developer.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are these film scans or print scans? What scanner did you use?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Clovis Blevins View Post
    Are these film scans or print scans? What scanner did you use?
    This is the film scan from my Epson Photo 4180
    Quote Originally Posted by albada View Post
    I thought Kodak stopped producing Double-X decades ago. They replaced it with Tri-X. Where did you find Double-X?
    where you find this info ?? fresh Double-X still available for purchase
    why high?
    What does Sodium Citrate do differently to image-quality compared to other alkalies such as Borax or metaborate? It's seldom used in developers, so I'm curious.
    1% solution of sodium citrate have pH=8.5 and very good buffer. Sodium Citrate with Borax used in Agfa Final and Foton #10 developers.
    As an experiment, I suggest reducing Phenidone to 0.1 g (instead of 0.15), because that will make ratios closer to what I've found gives finest grain.
    thank you for suggestion. maybe I will try this
    Last edited by Relayer; 06-26-2013 at 12:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is one source for Double X film in 35mm canisters. http://filmphotographyproject.com/st...bw-5-roll-pack

Shooter
    35mm
    Double X Negative 5222 is in fact the only B&W motion picture negative film in the Kodak Motion Picture Catalog. Must be ordered directly from the Kodak Motion Picture folks, in 400ft rolls.
    http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Produ...Films/5222.htm

if you are in the states or Canada the details are
    EASTMAN DOUBLE-X Negative Film 5222 / DXN718 / 35 mm x 400 ft roll / On Core / BH-1866
    1737279 $177.60 ( a thousand feet are $444 if you can deal with that big a roll)

to order you have to call 1-800-621-FILM (3456)
    Last edited by cmacd123; 06-27-2013 at 01:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add price
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought Kodak stopped producing Double-X decades ago.
    An unfortunate reuse of the name causes some confusion. Kodak still makes the cine film Eastmen 5222 also called Double-X. They did the same thing with the cine film Eastman 5231 called Plus-X.

Not necessarily I refer to Ryuji's work.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-27-2013 at 03:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Double X Negative 5222 is in fact the only B&W motion picture negative film in the Kodak Motion Picture Catalog. Must be ordered directly from the Kodak Motion Picture folks, in 400ft rolls.
    Unless one of the companies that sell short ends has some in stock. It is much cheaper than from Kodak.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin