Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,920   Online: 1014

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I made this offer to another APUG member and it is open to any and all members.

If you are doing a BTZS style of film testing and don't have access to a densitometer, I would be happy to take the reading for you. I can do both Visual & UV

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    I made this offer to another APUG member and it is open to any and all members.

If you are doing a BTZS style of film testing and don't have access to a densitometer, I would be happy to take the reading for you. I can do both Visual & UV

Jim
    If you can do Visual and UV you should also be able to do Blue, right? If for some reason you don't have a Blue aperture or channel you can use the Visual mode but measure through a 47B Wratten filter. You just null the densitometer back to Zero while reading through the filter, and then you use it for all of your readings.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    If you can do Visual and UV you should also be able to do Blue, right? If for some reason you don't have a Blue aperture or channel you can use the Visual mode but measure through a 47B Wratten filter. You just null the densitometer back to Zero while reading through the filter, and then you use it for all of your readings.

Sandy
    Sandy,

My densitometer is an X-Rite 361T. I don't think it has a blue channel.

I didn't know about using a 47B filter though. I'll have to pick one up.

Thanks for the tip.

Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Sandy
    Pardon my naive question but what do you need the Blue channel for?
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRosa
    Pardon my naive question but what do you need the Blue channel for?
    You need to read with the Blue channel if you are working with stained negatives because the Visual channel will not read stain density. If you make the reading with the Blue channel, or with a 47B filter in Visual mode, you will get a much better idea of the effective printing density of the negative when printing with AZO or regular graded silver gelatin papers than with a reading in Visual channel.

For VC silver gelatin papers, however, the Blue channel reading is usually quite off from effective printing density.

Stained negatives that are to be used for printing with UV sensitive processes should be read with the UV channel of the densitometer. Unfortunatley, there are not many densitometers out there that can read UV light.

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You need to read with the Blue channel if you are working with stained negatives because the Visual channel will not read stain density.
    It's really not that the Visual channel will not read the stain density, it most certainly will. Stain density even extends into the infrared and it can be measured there with the right kind of equipment.

The real reason is that your blue channel better matchs the spectral sensitivity of your photographic paper and therefore the blue channel is more appropriate.

Kirk - www.keyesphoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes
    It's really not that the Visual channel will not read the stain density, it most certainly will.

Kirk - www.keyesphoto.com
    That is of course true, and in fact my later sentence in which I suggest that you can use a 47B filter in Visual mode to read the stain contradicts my own statement.

But just for the record, does anyone know if UV cut-off filters are available in gelatin or some other form of thin plastic? I would speculate that it might be possible to take readings for UV sensitive processes in Visual mode with some densitometers using such a filter, in the same way that it is possible to use the 47B in Visual mode to take readings for Blue sensitive processes. However, to this point the only UV filters I have been able to find are glass.

Sandy

Zan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    wow, thanks for all the great replys. Im sorry I didnt mention what film I will be using, but I havent quite decided yet. Im leaning towards Efke 100 from JandC. I will definately get right on a step wedge. I would like more instruction on the best way to use them properly tho ( I sometimes have a tendency to do rather dumb things), so if anyone knows a website with step-by-step details that would be great. Thanks again for all the help!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    This is a most timely thread for me, since I have Stouffer 4x5 21-step wedge due in next week along with the RZ9 - a reflection Zone step wedge.

Can anyone point me to a location on the web were I can read a little more detailed description (read step by step) of the process. I understand that you can place the step wedge on some film and make a contact exposure to test your film development process - but how long is the exposure (or is it a bit of trial and error)?

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, but unless I find a densitometry for a really good price, and it would be one with Transmissive and Reflective properties plus UV channel - so the chances of finding one for under $100 is pretty low.

Thanks,
    Where does one purchase these step tablets? I saw a kodak #1 & #2 on calumets site but it's not clear which is the transmision or reflection. Are kodak and stouffer the same?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb_z5
    Where does one purchase these step tablets? I saw a kodak #1 & #2 on calumets site but it's not clear which is the transmision or reflection. Are kodak and stouffer the same?
    http://www.viewcamerastore.com/produ...products_id=84

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin