Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,496   Online: 1125

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life of Amidol

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Life of Amidol

About 3 weeks ago, I mixed up a liter of Amidol and made about 20 prints, then quickly put it in a plastic bottle and squeezed all the air out of it. I just poured it in a tray and made a print and the blacks are great - the solution is still an amber color (not dark brown) and it seems to have as much life as it did when I put it on the shelf. I had always been under the impression it would self destruct but it seems air is the major player in its demise. I will cork it back and see if I can get even more out of it - since I always feel like I am spending a lot of money to mix it up and I only use it when printing AZO.

Shooter
    35mm
    are there any products out there to displace the oxygen left in a bottle with something else, maybe nitrogen, that would slow the spoiling of stored stock mix. May a vacuum sealer with a mason jar adapter.

Anyone tried something like these? Results?
    Ken T.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I trick I learned is to spray some canned air into the bottle and cap it quickly and tightly. It has worked nicely for me, although I've never tried anything else (except those bottles that "fold down").
    -Grant

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ken,

Tetenal sells something like that, "Protectan", but only in Europe. It´s nothing but a Butan/Propan mixture > lighter gas with a higher price tag.

Flush in a bit until you can see the "fog" evaporate, then close the cap.

It works _very_ well.

If you are a smoker, Argon from a welding flask would be a solution. Or glass pearls.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Or you can use something like this:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...t_id=&pid=1469
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    An inexpensive solution to displacing the air in the container would be to add glass marbles until the Amidol reached the neck of the bottle.

Gary Samson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you mentioned this over on the Azo forum? I'd love to hear what Michael and Paula have to say about this.

Dean

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What I do to get the most out of my amidol is to do my Azo prints at the beginning of the session, and then if I have enlargements to do, I add the requisite amount of KBr and benzotriazole to the tray for prints on enlarging paper.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wine bags! You know, the mylar 4 litre bags of wine with the removable brown spigots that come in a cardboard box? After swilling the wine (HICK!) and giving the bag a good washing out, I tip the box on it's back with the bags spigot removed, and with a funnel, pour the developer from the tray into the bag. Pop the spigot back on, open the tap and squeeze the oxygen out of the bag until the developer just reaches the top. No oxygen. No light. Developer lasts forever.

I use a variation of Ansel's factorial development (development time determined by multiplying emergence time by a factor), so I can keep re-using my Metol/Glycin developer again, and again, and again, and again........

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 01-22-2005 at 04:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    Or you can use something like this:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...t_id=&pid=1469
    This may sound dumb (but that never stopped me before):

I use these accordion type bottles. The problem I have is that they tend to tip\tilt and never stand up straight when I squeeze the air out. When they do that, the liquid will often leak out of the rim of the cap. So, I end storing these things in some sort of tray to contain the leakage.

Is there some simple trick that I could use? The brand I bought is Falcon. Are these any good or are there otther brands (like the Arist) that won't tip over?

Thanks.

-Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin