Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,104   Online: 845

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New MGIV Floats in Washer

I just opened a new 100 sheet box of Ilford MGIV and noticed that it floated when put into the vertical archival washer. Strange because the year old package I just finished did not float. I also saw that both new Oriental VCII and Bergger VC NB did float. My Ilford MGWT did not float. Just wondering if there has been a recent change to the MGIV paper base? It does seem thick and stiff compared to some older papers like Agfa MCC.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Is it textured , are you sure its not art 300, it is the only paper I know that floats immediately in an archival vertical washer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just tried a box of 11x14 MGWT semi-matte and noticed it floated in my Gravity Works washer. The base seems a little heavier than some of my older Ilford paper, but it could be my imagination. The MG Art 300 is very buoyant.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    All my papers float after washing awhile. I have to put the slotted lid on and even weight it down with the squeegee.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest increasing the exposure time so the tone is thick and heavy.

They always float for me and I've been using it for several years. I have a bar that goes across slots of the washer to keep them submerged.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    ChuckP, is this an immediate float effect or only after it has been in the washing slot for some time as others are reporting?

I wonder if this is both time and type of liquid dependent? I haven't bought any MGIV for some time so I will have old stock but I use a Nova vertical slot processor and on the few occasions that my Nova clip has slipped off the paper in the developer slot it has sunk immediately

Thicker and stiffer than the Agfa MCC it may be but I'd have thought that the density of the paper wouldn't change sufficiently to make a difference. To my non scientific brain doesn't stiffer and thicker indicate that the paper is more dense rather than less so less inclined to float?

I wonder if Simon Galley would care to comment on any change to MGIV paper that might account for this change from sinking to floating?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am using MG1V right now, recent purchased paper , it is normal , as expected.
    the Art 300 is unusual in the way it bounces out of the washer.
    All papers sink when first placed in the wash but after time in the wash float to the top of the washer, almost like they are telling you they are done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my slot washer all paper rises due to the circulation of the water up and out. Faster water flow moves them even quicker.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well, I'm glad I'm not dreaming...bought a box of 250 two weeks ago and I was like WOW...the paper seems to have quite more weight. It's thicker and I don't think I'm imagine it. Floats a bit more but the weight compared to my older prints is absolutely, positively different. Maybe Simon can clarify.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to remember a thread from quite a while ago where Simon mentioned an upcoming modification to Ilford papers that was supposed to help them lie flatter after drying without the need for hot pressing. Might this have something to do with it??

Just speculating...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin