Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,141   Online: 1116

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Hardening Fixer with an Expert Drum?

I always use hardening fixer with film simply because I am a clumsy lout and have scratched negatives on more than one occasion. I have a pile of film in the darkroom that I am itching to develop right now but I ran out of fixer. I put an order in at Henry's in Ottawa two weeks ago and it still has not arrived. Times have changed.

So, my question: since the hardening fixer matters only when the negs are wet, it seems to me that I would not want to drag an 8x10 neg out of an expert drum without using hardening fixer. I can almost hear the scratching sound. Am I wrong? Is there something I am missing?

If this fear is justified, I will just get some fixer somewhere else (and not today), but it is raining today. Pouring. Can't shoot. Can't swim. Can't sit on a patio with a beer...and I am twitching to develop that film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hardening fixers are only recommended for some films. I don't think they do anything for films like TMAX. What film are you using?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe that PE and others have stated on numerous occasions that all modern, "mainline" (Kodak, Ilford, Fuji and ???) black and white films are pre-hardened as part of the manufacturing process.

Ilford fixers (Rapid Fix, Hypam) aren't hardened, and I would guess that very few add the accessory hardener that can be used with one, but not both of them.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is sad. If modern films are already pre-hardened, it means that I am even more clumsy than I thought! The film, btw, is FP4.

On the other hand, it is still raining, so I am headed for the darkroom, but with greater determination to curb my sloppy film handling.

Thanks, folks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should be putting the negatives in the drum with the emulsion inward; not touching anything.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin