Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,325   Online: 938

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak powder fix with hardener after fixing with Sprint fix?

After fixing my film I realized that I used sprint speed fixer without hardener and I wonder if anyone has ever tried using a hardening fixer (I only have Kodak powder fix on hand) after fixing with a non-hardening fixer.
    I know. Dumb.

Shooter
    35mm
    What is the reason for wanting to use a hardening fixer? I think there are few films still in production where it is normally preferable, but perhaps you have high temperature wash water or something unusual like that? A separate hardener can be used, or I suppose re-fixing could be done too (no need for the full time, but you would need the longer wash).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Martin. They are fixed and unless youhave an unusual situation they do not need a hardener. I have not used a hardening fixer in at least 20 years.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a hardening fixer after I tone prints. It is simpler than trying to get hardener alone.

For most films, hardener isn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt.

For prints, it lengthens wash times and makes toning more challenging.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you- I am nervous about scratches, and have always used fixer with hardener with film. I will indicate on the sleeve that they aren't hardened and use extra care.... thanks for your responses!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kerduka View Post
    Thank you- I am nervous about scratches, and have always used fixer with hardener with film. I will indicate on the sleeve that they aren't hardened and use extra care.... thanks for your responses!!!
    hi there

sprint makes hardener for their fix
    just go to the store where you bought the fix
    and get the alum hardener,
    refix and re wash the film ...

i try not to use hardener but to each their own ...

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Jim and John, I never use it, for film or paper. As Matt pointed out, it makes toning more difficult. Also, on the rare occasion I want to treat a negative with selenium, it's much easier without a hardening fix. I never have a problem with scratches on the modern emulsions I use.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for your advice.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have always used ordinary everyday Kodak Fixer. It's the best there is. It's a regular normal acid hardening fixer. I wouldn't think of using anything else. Just as corn flakes is probably to this day, Kelloggs' flagship cereal, so is Kodak Fixer to that company. Not a reason in the world not to use it, without second thought.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin