Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,559   Posts: 1,573,303   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Neutral density filter

I aquired a 4X neutral density filter and thought it would increse exposure time by 4 stops...I was wrong. Each neg was underexposed. Shoud I have tried 4 times the exposure time?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was the exposure long enough for reciprocity failure to occur? Or were you opening the lens by 4 stops instead of extending the time? A few details will help here. A 4x ND does cut the light by 4 stops.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    4 stops is 16 times the time. 2x2x2x2. I thought the ND filters labeled 4x were actually 2 stops. I'm confused how you ended up with underexposure unless it's reciprocity failure.

How did you meter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was using a old Rollie T1 that has a meter on the side. The exposure was 15 seconds so I don't think it was reciprocity. The straight exposure should have been F11 at 1/30 sec. I stepped it down to F22 at 15 seconds using the nd filter plus a red filter that I step down 2 stops for. I use the red filter very often at 2 steps down but the nd filter is new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Weldon
    I was using a old Rollie T1 that has a meter on the side. The exposure was 15 seconds so I don't think it was reciprocity. The straight exposure should have been F11 at 1/30 sec. I stepped it down to F22 at 15 seconds using the nd filter plus a red filter that I step down 2 stops for. I use the red filter very often at 2 steps down but the nd filter is new.
    A 4x ND filter will cost you two stops of light. You should have opened up to f/5.6 to account for the two stops of light lost to the ND filter. Then you need another 2 stops to compensate for the red filter. Keeping the shutter speed the same at 15 sec, you'd need to open up the aperture another two stops to f/2.8. You were going in the wrong direction! Don't feel too badly about this. Happens to all of us at one time or another. Keep at it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think that's right. He said the meter read F/11 at 1/30th. Going to F/22 should have moved the time to 1/8th. Then the ND filter moves it to 1/2. Then the red filter to 2 seconds. I don't know what film was used but from 2 seconds to 15 isn't the worlds best long exposure response. The film was still underexposed? I'm thinking it's something else. No idea what.

Images
    At 15 seconds indicated exposure time you were well into the region where reciprocity isn't reciprocal. You don't say what film you were using, but the exposure would have to be 21 seconds for 100Delta, 24 econds for 100 or 400 TMX or HP5+ and 30 seconds for 400TX. These are the latest emulsions.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TMax 100 metered at ISO 100. Please explain how you came to 24 sec Gainer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Weldon
    I aquired a 4X neutral density filter and thought it would increse exposure time by 4 stops...I was wrong. Each neg was underexposed. Shoud I have tried 4 times the exposure time?
    What are the marking on the ND filter. I believe that ND filters are usually marked with their optical density. If you have a ND filter, and it says "ND 4.0" then it is not 4x, and not 4 stops, but 4.0 density. So 4.0/0.3=13.3 stops. That would lead to some very underexposed negs. Using this system, a filter that is 4 stops, would say ND 1.2.

If yours is a 4x, then it may have ND 0.6 on it. If so, then that needs only 2 stops additional exposure.

So what exactly does your filter have marked on it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a Rollei filter that was made in Germany. It says "grau 4" and -4 on the filter and the box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin