Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,538   Posts: 1,572,756   Online: 836

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Film Developing Issues: Streaks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120N002247.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	852.1 KB 
ID:	70975

What is going on here? The dust and scratches I understand but the streaks I do not. I have had the issue with 35mm Tri-X and now that I have moved to shooting it in 120 the same thing is happening. But it cannot be just the film or the back that I used for Tri-Xm because I see the same streaks with FP4+ but to a far less extent. I used Rodinal 1:50 at 68F with 30 sec agitation and 10 sec every minute after that. The only thing that I can think of is that I used tap water instead of distilled water for the developer. Is this what the issue appears to be or is it something else?

Kris
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Rodinal and tap water all the time. Streaks in sky areas usually(IME) are agitation related.Possibly you are not agitating forcefully enough to get fresh developer through the reel between the plies of film.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This is nothing to do with tap water. Could it have something to do with the way you loaded the film in the spiral?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format

A couple more examples

Name:	120N002230.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	70983

Name:	120N002232.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	70984
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Do you use a squeegee?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Along the right side looks like bubbles/foam problems. You may need a little more developer in the tank and/or some bumping the tank on a hard surface a few times in the beginning to break up and dislodge air bubbles.

Did you wipe or squeegee the film? The streaks look to me like they could be residue or damage from that process. A final rinse with a dilute wetting agent is preferred by many as opposed to wiping.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I squeegee film my fingers as I always do for 120. I don't do it with 35mm because I've had issues with water spots. But up until now I have never had these issues with 120. Squeegee streaks as I have seen them are on the base of the film and can be wiped off. These see to be in the emulsion. Agitation seems likely but I used the same agitation as always. I do rap the tank on the counter and use the recommended amount of developer.

I should mention that I recenlty swithched from Photo-Flo to the Edwal wetting agent. Photo-Flo sposts my 35mm film no matter what I do to it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As for the PhotFlo I have used it in distilled water for forty years with 35, 120 and 4x5 with no problems. I suspect you are using too much and not using a fresh mix each session. Just a few drops in 20 oz of distilled water is all you need for your 35 and 120. The streaks appear to be in the same position on the frames you show and you claim them to be on TX and HP4 so I wonder about them being from your fingers since it would be unlikely that you would place them in the same position and with the same pressure on different occasions.

My suggestion would be to check your camera equipment to be sure it is clean and has no "burs". Also how do you load it on to the reels? You could make a test roll and cut the film (no reels) so you can tray develop and fix, then just rinse thoroughly with water. Don't squeegee. If no "burs" and no streaks then you have narrowed the problem to technique either loading on to the reels or squeegee. Too much PhotoFlo probably wouldn't cause the type of streaks you are showing.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I suppose. It is just a little odd to me to start having this problem when I have been doing things the same way for four years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never squeegee film, period. Not with your fingers, not with anything. The last step should be soaking your film in distilled water with a bit of Photo-Flo or some sort of wetting agent for a minute or two before hanging to dry. Be careful not to use too much Photo-Flo... error on the short side when mixing.

Make sure that your are using enough developer to cover the reels and make certain your reels are CLEAN. Photo-Flo inhibits development so if it is left on the reel it will cause problems. (I remove my film from the reels before it goes into any Photo-Flo or wetting agent.) Also, make sure you are loading properly. Are you using plastic or stainless reels?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin