Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,902   Posts: 1,584,543   Online: 1032

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Traveling with IR sheet film

So, I am taking this trip next week, by car, and I am taking with me many sheets of 4X5 IR films. It's in the high 90's where I'm going, so I have concerns about the films spending much time at these temperatures.

My plan is to put the film holders in individual ziplock bags with a silica packet, and suck the air out, then put all the ziplocks in a cooler with freezer packs. I should be able to refreeze the packs along the way, at motels or whatever.

Seems to me that the real concern would be condensation, but it's pretty dry where I'm going, and the bags seem to hold a seal pretty well.

Is this a sound plan? Interested to hear other considerations or tips from experience.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Is this IR colour or Black & white?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    B&W. Who has IR color? I saw a roll of Ektachrome IR on the bay for 100 bones. Crazy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never had any issues with ir and heat/humidity.
    Dean Benicci has occasionally sold EIR in sheets, not that many folks know about it let alone $pring for it. There's some bad examples of its use on flickr.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Then I would think the film holders in individual ziplock bags with a silica packet is fine and don't bother with sucking the air out and ziplocks in a cooler with freezer packs.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Alrighty then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I to have never had issues with any of the B&W IR films I've used. My experience has shown it to be no more sensative to X-rays or heat than any other films.

I've just recently found some old Kodak HIE 35mm rolls and a box of HSI. I will hopefully be shooting some of those soon and just expecting a higher base fog level - but time will tell.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It (well, SFX and IR820) seem to age/fog faster than other films but I've not had problems with heat during travel. I kept mine in the camera bag with everything else, no problems.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin