Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,484   Posts: 1,644,655   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kentmere USA?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by peters
    Am I confused or isn't Luminos- Kentmere? Now where did I get that idea from? Someone please tell. Thanks
    Peter
    Steve White the former owner of Luminos sold the company to Hannamulle (sp) a company who make digital products and I understand that they have no interest in analogue. Luminos were also the US distributors for Fotospeed, who have a very nice paper called Legacy. Freestyle will also distribute Fotospeed products in the US.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    It was luminos, but now Freestyle has the exclusive rights to North America for all Kentmere products.
    Does this mean that Freestyle will drive Kentmere to bankrupcy like it did with Ilford and Forte?
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    currently Freestyle are promoting Kentmere, so have added a kentmere banner to their rotation, so now the freestyle banner is split 50/50 with a kentmere banner. Not sure if Kentmere want to get their own banner or not yet, but all banner holders are able to add different banners to their rotation if they choose to. They sell Kentmere in NZ and the sample sheets that I saw looked really nice, price was very good too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    gilbert,
    please explain how freestyle drove ilford to bankruptcy...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ques for Les

I use sterling, kentmere and fotospeed, I believe they all originate in the UK. Are they all under the same umbrella or totally different companys.

I like the product range as well as some of the chemicals of these companys but am confused to who is who, thanks for clearing up the Luminos situation as this was another reseller , but I wasn't sure what products were what.

If someone can clarify I would be happy, I just tested a range of papers and wanted to try the premium j&C paper but got cold feet thinking it may be bergeer .sp. or Forte.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have been anxious to try out the Luminos\Kentmere graded bromide paper. I called Freestyle and they said it is not in the first shipment that is\has come in. If anyone has any info on this paper or it's future availability at Freestyle, please let me know. The sales person I got on the phone did not know when any would be coming in.

Thanks.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi
    I have been anxious to try out the Luminos\Kentmere graded bromide paper. I called Freestyle and they said it is not in the first shipment that is\has come in. If anyone has any info on this paper or it's future availability at Freestyle, please let me know. The sales person I got on the phone did not know when any would be coming in.

Thanks.

-Mike
    I am also anxious to try this paper. On the Kentmere site they said it will be out in April 2005. It sounds nice.
    -Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Ques for Les

I use sterling, kentmere and fotospeed, I believe they all originate in the UK. Are they all under the same umbrella or totally different companys.

I like the product range as well as some of the chemicals of these companys but am confused to who is who, thanks for clearing up the Luminos situation as this was another reseller , but I wasn't sure what products were what.

If someone can clarify I would be happy, I just tested a range of papers and wanted to try the premium j&C paper but got cold feet thinking it may be bergeer .sp. or Forte.
    Reply to Bob
    Sterling paper is no longer made, they went out of busines quite a few years ago. Their paper was made in the old Agfa factory in India and when it folded I understand the owner sold the land for property development. The owner did say that he was going to open a new coating plant when the old one closed but it never happened.

Kentmere is a small privately owned business based in the Lake District in North West England. They make thier own range of analogue papers as well as an increasing range of digital papers. They also coat for other companies.

Fotospeed are another small independent UK company who have a number of analogue papers, mostly RC but Legacy is fibre and IMO very nice. They have papers made to their spec but I'm not allowed to disclose the coating plants concerned. I can tell you that the original Fotospeed Lith paper was made by Kentmere but it did not compare favourably with the Sterling Lith so I believe it was discontinued. They also do a good range of print and film developers and toners. They have recently started a digital wing to the company.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Les
    thanks for the reply
    I used sterling lith extensively up until the India plant was sold, I have tried their new versions , not anywhere as good but the last emulsion had a look that I like so I bought sterling lith as recently as 1 month ago. I have been told the cadium is out therefore the different look
    I also use Art Document from sterling which is very nice.
    Kentmere I think made the kentona paper and as well that very heavy textured paper in a graded selection.
    The Canadian distributer seems to buy from all three of these companys but unfortunately is not in a position to bring in any volume worth considering.
    Champion Nova Lith for example is a beautiful developer for lith printing.

Here is the rub,,, Champion is in Missisauga Ont, 20 min drive from my Lab, I use to be able to buy direct 25 gallons A B for $140 canadian.
    Champion sold to either sterling or fotospeed. the last quote I got to bring in the stuff to my lab was Just under $200 for a five litre mix, I would have to purchase 20 units to get this price. My Canadian dealer is not able to finance any proper supply, very disturbing to say the least. I have tried mixing my own from formulas off the unblinking eye and eddie ephrams book, but these mixes so far are a pale comparison to Champion nova. Luckly Macoe makes a lith dev which is nice but still quite expensive for the volumes that I like to use.

So , I do hope a reseller for Kentmere
    will open up on the east coast (nothing wrong with freestyle) but they are 3900 miles from my shop.
    Maybe they should be talking to Fotospeed and Sterling and Kentmere ,because I do like these products form the UK but not at the prices expected from one small Lab here in Toronto.
    So any way Les, if you have any pull with these three companys, let them know there is a market for their products here , just make sure all three are represented by a east coast and west coast distributer and they would do well.

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo

Just reading the information on the Kentmere site has me salivating!

Someone will have to enlighten me as to the reason for so much salivating.

Was Luminous really that good a paper? I am probably hugely ignorant, but always thought it was a "poor cousin" alternative to such true luminaries as Seagull, etc. Has Kentmere come out with a premium line now?

In other words, what is there about this Kentmere that would have me trading in (or adding to) my Agfa MCC?

Larry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin