Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,515   Online: 1049

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wish me luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    No, its beautifully clear from end to end.

I take it the "Ilford" along the edge is "developed" on to the film?
    The "Ilford" along the edge is often referred to as either the "edge printing" or the "film rebate".

And it is the result of light exposure at the factory, combined with your development.

So its presence is a sign that your development procedure is either correct, or substantially so.

It looks like no light reached the film before you developed it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    :: FACEPALM ::

(I had the lens set to cable release mode...)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    No where but up! We've all been there! I loaded my first MF roll of 120 backwards...he.he....live n learn!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    :: FACEPALM ::

(I had the lens set to cable release mode...)
    I assume you mean mirror lock-up mode.

Bet you won't do that again .

Look around APUG and you will find at least one thread that consists of everyone's "favourite" mistakes or accidents.

Read it, and you will know that you are in good company.

Best of luck for the next one.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do take no small measure of encouragement that the edge printing (thanks for the term) came out.

I'll take my victories where I can...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It happens - things like that are like a right-of-passage.

You know those old westerns where the revolvers don't run out of bullets?
    I recently took quite a few pictures (via three 120 backs) with the auto-exposure lock accidentally off; I'd not set it, but it had been bumped when pulled from the bag. It was in low light, so I couldn't see the counter, and it never seemed to get to the end of the roll.

Fortunately I realized the issue before unloading, so I can take the other 9 shots on each roll. Lost a lot of good pictures, though.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One good thing about this...I have another roll in the camera (this is an RB67, BTW) right now that's half exposed...or half not-exposed, as it were. At least with tonight's failed result I caught it before I failed to expose the other half.

Actually, maybe I'll go into my darkroom and re-wind that roll. Why not?

Nothing irreplaceable on the roll I spoiled, glad to say.

I have to say, even with the bust out tonight, I am having a great time with my return to film. All this stuff is very satisfying, and that's coming from a guy who's put 15k clicks per year for the last ten years on his digital camera. I am seriously looking forward to that moment when I get my first passable print off my enlarger. Shouldn't be long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One good thing about this...I have another roll in the camera (this is an RB67, BTW) right now that's half exposed...or half not-exposed, as it were. At least with tonight's failed result I caught it before I failed to expose the other half.

Actually, maybe I'll go into my darkroom and re-wind that roll. Why not?

Nothing irreplaceable on the roll I spoiled, glad to say.

I have to say, even with the bust out tonight, I am having a great time with my return to film. All this stuff is very satisfying, and that's coming from a guy who's put 15k clicks per year for the last ten years on his digital camera. I am seriously looking forward to that moment when I get my first passable print off my enlarger. Shouldn't be long.
    (Emphasis added by me)

Rewinding 120 film isn't quite as simple as you might think. Most likely you will end up with a bump where the tape attaches the film to the backing paper. To get it to feed smoothly again, you will need to pull up and then re-attach that tape.

The people who re-spool 120 film on to 620 spools for some older cameras have a lot of experience with this.

Glad you are finding joy.
    Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    It happens - things like that are like a right-of-passage.

You know those old westerns where the revolvers don't run out of bullets?
    I recently took quite a few pictures (via three 120 backs) with the auto-exposure lock accidentally off; I'd not set it, but it had been bumped when pulled from the bag. It was in low light, so I couldn't see the counter, and it never seemed to get to the end of the roll.

Fortunately I realized the issue before unloading, so I can take the other 9 shots on each roll. Lost a lot of good pictures, though.
    O my this reminds me the shots of Rancid I took with the Minox. Magically took several shots after the film ran out of my niece (who was there at the concert with her boyfriend).

They broke up so at least I don't have to retouch him out of the pictures.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First roll of film I developed had slipped the reel (use hewes folks!) and about 1/3 of the shots were toast. Rest were alright though. It's actually pretty hard to screw up any film development significantly. Usually it's either a process mixup, or not enough exposure.

You got edge markers so you know your procedure is right!
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin