Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,182   Online: 687

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wish me luck!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Look around APUG and you will find at least one thread that consists of everyone's "favourite" mistakes or accidents.
    "favourite" mistakes, no. Just the ones we will admit to in public

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bad luck.....keep going

Into every life a little rain must fall....

Everyone on APUG will have done the same, I have....but it just makes your eventual success the sweeter.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I am pleased to report that today's effort appears to be a complete success. Everything appears to have come out exactly as intended. Yesssss......

Out of curiosity, is "one shot" developer truly one shot? If I wanted, for example, to do two rolls back to back, could I reuse it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post

Out of curiosity, is "one shot" developer truly one shot? If I wanted, for example, to do two rolls back to back, could I reuse it?
    I wouldn't reuse it. You will get consistent results with one shot.
    my 2 cents...Terry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    Well, I am pleased to report that today's effort appears to be a complete success. Everything appears to have come out exactly as intended. Yesssss......

Congratulations!

And as posted above, one shot developer shouldn't be reused. There are developers and development regimes that are designed to permit re-use, but using them is either more complex (involving replenishment, or extensions of time) or unusual process methods or results (two bath developers like Diafine).

Trust me - you will appreciate the simplicity of one shot until you are more in the swing of things again.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ironically the only time a one shot developer could probably be reused is when the entire roll is blank ;-)
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Using the developer consumes it pretty significantly, and leaves behind products of development and things from the film. So you can't re-use a developer that was not designed to be re-used, sorry. Your second roll is likely to come out significantly thinner (underdeveloped).

As to your "more what?" question: increasing any one of concentration, temperature or time will increase the amount of development action to your film, which in turn increases the contrast. Under-developed film has too-low contrast and (often) no shadow detail, whereas over-developed film has too-high contrast and will start to lose highlight details. If the contrast is too extreme in either direction, the negative will not be able to be printed cleanly on photographic paper; it might be rescuable via scanning but if the contrast is so whacked that it doesn't print well, it's likely to have faults in addition to extreme contrast that are much harder or impossible to correct. A bit of contrast variation is no problem and there are frameworks (see below) for deliberately varying contrast during development in order to optimise your images for the contrast in the scene.

The definition of "too much" or "too little" contrast depends on your paper. Modern variable contrast papers will successfully print a wide range of contrasts, which is nice because we get significant variation in contrast from the scene lighting and from differences (or mistakes) in development technique. If you want to know more, google up "Zone System" and "BTZS" and buy a copy of Way Beyond Monochrome; it is an excellent reference on B&W technique. There's a FAQ in my signature that I suspect might help you too.

Shooter
    35mm
    One shot is one shot, In some cases in a pinch with some developers folks can run a second roll by developing for a longer time, as long as the second roll is developed within a few moments of the first one. (as one shot developers will not keep after mixing to working strength in most cases)

Best idea is to only use them one shot, and accept that you are throwing away some left over power. That is the Buffer than ensures that you have enough power to accomplish your mission.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Absolute best way is to replenish. But first lets get this guy one successful roll and then he can start having densiometer and btzs arguments with the rest of us.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That will work just fine Omaha, go have fun!
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin