Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,095   Online: 806

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ilford ortho plus in Xtol

I was wondering if anyone had experience developing Ilford Ortho Plus film in X-tol 1:1. I would be using an HP combiplan tank. I have been unable to locate any source for development times and would appreciate any information APUG members might have.

Thanks
    Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If no one has any suggestions with regard to developing it in XTOL, does anyone have any recommendations with regard to other developers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As you can develop this film by inspection with a safe light, could you not establish a time with XTOL yourself?

(I expect the Ilford data sheet will have times for other developers)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a lot of Ilford Ortho film at one time, aside from it's film speed it behaves very similarly to FP4, we always used the same development times for both, that would still be the case with Xtol.

It's actually quite fast and you need the correct safelight as it's likely to fog unless you're careful, we always developed in a daylight tank, or deep tanks.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a darkroom for developing the negatives, which is why I use the Combiplan tank. I have found some recommendations in Anschell's book, although not for X-tol, and may have to try another developer. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
    Michael

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear MichaelR,

If you have a bathroom, a white tray, and a dim red safelight (a few red leds will do), you can develop ortho film by inspection. I have done it, it's not hard and you need very little light. Even a cheap led flashlight will get you through it, just keep it as far away as possible.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for replies. I will try the development time for the FP4. If I get more ambitious, I will try the development by inspection approach. Again, I really appreciate your expertise and help.
    Michael

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin