Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,720   Posts: 1,483,136   Online: 1249

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Ilford delta 3200 help

Hello all, this is my first activity of any kin on this website, i do need much help with many different topics and i heard this was a good resource, so my name is jensen and i have been shooting film for about a year almost, i took a photo film class this year at my highschool and that is how i was introduced, also, id like to help others with the info i do gain. I have recently purchased some delta 3200 expired in 2008, now ive heard 5 years is ancient for high speed films, and to make matters worse this film was not cold stored. I shot a roll at E.I. 1600 and developed in microphen stock at 75 F for 8 and a half minutes, and used agitated 10 sec per min. The film has crazy base fog, how could i compensate for this correctly? Has anybody had very good experience with delta 3200 in microphen with the times i described? Thank you.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd shoot it anywhere between 1000-1600 and develop for 3200. The Ilford times aren't accurate and I don't know why they still issue those times when everyone uses the time for 1 stop faster EI. I've shot d3200 that was a few years old and didnt have any extreme issues. The trick is to hit it with a lot of light.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    [QUOTE=The film has crazy base fog, how could i compensate for this correctly? Has anybody had very good experience with delta 3200 in microphen with the times i described? Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Throw the film away and start again.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you for your input, i appreciate it.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do not throw the film away. Shoot another roll, expose longer or for a lower EI, and develop accordingly. Base fog does not mean the film is unusable.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Do not throw the film away. Shoot another roll, expose longer or for a lower EI, and develop accordingly. Base fog does not mean the film is unusable.
    Yes, experiment and have fun.

Shoot it at 400 and see what prints.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Yes, experiment and have fun.

Shoot it at 400 and see what prints.
    Wow 400 defeats the purpose of the film but if it salvages it, it salvages it. Haha. Thank you all for your input.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well actually, the original owner ignoring them for many years is what defeated the purpose of these particular rolls.

Salvaging it means giving enough exposure to get the image you want above the fog, so to speak.

These particular rolls I'd shoot at 400 and develop per Ilford's instructions for 800 or 1600.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    HC-110 dilution B is the fog-killer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markaudacity View Post
    HC-110 dilution B is the fog-killer.
    Really? Id have to go try it out then! Can somebody clarify how a developer would help reduce base fog?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin