Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,959   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Arista Prem vs EDU @ Freestyle?

Anyone try Freestyle Arista premium 35mm film? How does it compare to the Freestyle EDU 35mm? (I've used neither.) Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Haven't used the premium, but the EDU is Fomapan.

In terms of papers, the EDU is again Foma, the Premium is the current Adox offering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Premium is rebadged Kodak TriX, while EDU is Fomapan. I shoot lots of Foma in all my cameras, all formats, and love the look of it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    The old Premium 100 was Plus-X. The Premium 400 is (still) Tri-X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a good bit of it in my gallery here and on my Flickr. Anything I have labeled as "Tri-X" is the rebranded Arista Premium stuff. I use both. I prefer the "Premium" when it comes to the 400 speed.

Here's a sample of the Arista Premium 400 (Tri-X), shot with a Yashica T4 in overcast daylight conditions, no flash. Developed in ILFORD Ilfosol 3 1+9 for 7.5m, standard agitation per Massive Dev Chart.

Ex-Horsehoe Crab by magnus919, on Flickr

EDIT: I removed my non-35mm examples but they are on my Flickr if you search there for "Fomapan" and "Tri-X".

Shooter
    127 Format
    The Arista Premium 35mm iso 400 has been discontinued and availability is limited to stock on hand. It will be gone soon.

The Arista EDU is available in iso 100, 200 and 400 for 35mm, 120 and sheet film sizes.

Better to use the EDU and support Foma, the company that cares more about us. Kodak certainly doesn't.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like and use the Foma for some stuff but there is no comparison quality wise. Tri-X is my favorite B&W film ever and just far superior to Foma. I don't shoot much B&W in 35mm anymore but when I do it's mostly Tri-X either rebranded or otherwise. I shoot both in 120 and probably 5-10 times more Tri-X than Foma. Tri-X is far, far superior by any objective measure but Foma does have its own look and can be fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    The Arista Premium 35mm iso 400 has been discontinued and availability is limited to stock on hand. It will be gone soon.
    Where did you get that info? Freestyle still lists it as in stock, and offers discounts on 500 roll purchases. No mention of it being discontinued.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ditto. I'm interested in the source of this rumor, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe they concluded that there was none by seeing there was only 36 & 24 exposure rolls available no bulk 100' rolls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin