Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,543   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chemical mixing

Shooter
    35mm

Chemical mixing

What type of vessel do you use to mix the chemistry in?

Do you find just putting dry chems in a jug and shake mixing works OK?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Typically in photo-lab work dry chemistries are dissolved consecutively in certain ranking into a solvent (typically water).

Mixing dry chemistries with each other would only be done when prepairing a dry chemistry kit. But then, due to mixing issues, it would be best, but labourious, to divide those chemistries on several dry kits, instead of making a total heap from which to take the necessary amounts when preoaring a solution.

One could use stainless steel, enamelled, plastic or glass containers.

Especially when preparing solutions graded, transparent plastic or glass containers would be be most usefull.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mix in a one gallon pitcher and stir. Never shake chems, especially developer to mix. Shaking entraines air into the chems which shortens the life span of them. Air(oxygen) is what kills developer, and the reason we store it in full, tightly capped bottles.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    mix in a gallon jar with an electic mixer. We use so much at school I don't worry about oxyen with the stirring process.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    mix in a gallon jar with an electic mixer. We use so much at school I don't worry about oxyen with the stirring process.
    A magnetic stirrer is the best darkroom buy I ever made. I use a one liter pyrex lab beaker when mixing for its flat bottom which is necessary with a mag stirring bar.

An open container and a stirring paddle is a cheaper but more athletic option.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    An open container and a stirring paddle is a cheaper but more athletic option.
    Exactly how it happens at my house.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a red, plastic bucket bought from WalMart. The kind you use to do household chores with.
    To stir, I use plastic mixing spoons. Again, from WalMart.

Before I used them, I rinsed them with hot water, washed with soap and water then rinsed really well.
    Be sure to use them for nothing else but mixing. Wash and dry well after each use.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Ilubmycam,

For liquid, I simply pour it in the jug and swirl around a mixing rod. Empty juice bottles have larger openings with enough room for the paddle end. The bigger openings make it easier to pour the chemicals back in without a funnel even when using 11x14 trays. For powders, I use a cheap plastic pail purchased at the local Home Depot for less than $2. I place it on a magnetic stirrer (not heated) bought on ebay for around $50.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    In my early days, I discreetly took the kitchen stock pot or saucepan, and made a point to wash it thorougly before returning it to the kitchen.

I found a one-gallon stainless steel pot that is now dedicated to the task.

And I was lucky to find a water-powered magnetic stirrer which is a boon, but not a necessity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When making wine I use a food-grade measuring cup or bucket, and stir gently and thoroughly.
    When mixing pre-packaged film chemicals I use a plastic gallon milk-jug, and shake like a maniac.
    Oxidation is a concern with both, but it's odd how habits can be task-specific. I'm beginning to stir film chemistry as well.

I am looking into a magnetic stirrer for film chemistry. In the future I will try mixing from scratch (for the fun and learning experience), but once I get the magnetic stirrer, I'll probably use it for anything film related. For film chemistry I'm not concerned with the mixing vessel (so long as it's not reactive with the chemicals), but am slowly migrating to glass for storage.
    Truzi

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin