Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,191   Online: 700

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fomapan 400 in HC-110

Hey, I just got a nice Speed Graphic and wanted to ask some things before I mess up the first negatives.
    I have Fomapan 400 sheet film and Kodak HC-110 developer I use for b&w developing.
    Never had problems with developing 35mm and 120 but I have no idea with 4x5.

Did anybody use this film and developer together? How long do you develop at which dilution?
    Is it required to move the tank all the time like when developing C41?

Thanks,
    Phil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently did some Fomapan 400 sheet film testing with HC-110 at 1+30 (20ml to 600ml using a densitometer to determine my film speed) I found that the best speed for me was ISO 250

I used a Jobo rotary processor and at 21 degrees C the time was 5 minutes 45 seconds for standard development.

This is just a guide for you to start with, hope it helps. Oh, this was for the concentrated syrupy HC-110 not the thinner HC-110 often found in Europe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't do extensive testing or anything, but I liked the results fine at box speed, using the times from the Massive Dev Chart (7 minutes in dilution B).

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, that should be a good starting point. Somehow I tend to underexpose, so I will better give it a stop more.
    I use the syrup. Actually I've never seen the thinner one.
    I first looked it up on massive dev chart but there were no times for sheet film and I was not sure if I can use the same like for 35mm or 120.

The other thing with the agitation.. is it better to do rotary development? I've got a cheap Jobo CPE but no drum with a magnet so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tend to get weak shadows with any of the Foma 100, 200 or 400 films at box speed so I always rate it generously in the speed dept.

Your results could differ but...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    With a view camera, remember to add exposure for bellows extention if you are focused close up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never used Fomapan 400 in sheets, but I shoot a lot of Fomapan 100 and treat it the same as rollfilm. Everyone has their own routine---I shuffle through the sheets, or rock the tray if developing a single sheet, for the agitation intervals.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin