Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,030   Online: 758

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Inconsistent paper base tone.

I am having the problem of some of my prints having a much warmer base tone that others made during the same printing session. I do not have a print washer, so I manually wash all my prints together at the end of the session. This means that some of the prints have been soaking for as long as a few hours, while others go straight into the wash. I have most noticed this with Bergger VCCB, and Forte Poly warmtone, both warm tone papers. My first thought is that these papers have artificial whiteners, and that the prints that soak for the longest have more of these whiteners washed out, exposing the natural tone of the paper. However, I made just three prints the other day and I noticed a distinct difference in paper base tone, the whole session lasting maybe an hour. I have thought that the paper may not be entirely consistent, but more likely I'm doing something wrong. One last thought is that this could be caused by fogging of some sort. ??

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have made that experience with Fomatone MG, another bromide warmtone fb paper, and never found out how to control it. The base gives a tone from soft wide to allmost chamois and the effect takes place in the developing process - the variations are already showing up when I pull the print out of the fixer.

My best guess: it has to do with the developer - temp, state of exhaustion, "agitation", time.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Papers

MM-here's what I did to get around color variations. Mix up at least a third more developer and make less prints. I only use Fotrepolywarmtone so this may or may not hold true for other papers. As Fred Picker once said about a thousand times: TRY IT!
    Good luck Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any chance this is a safelight fogging problem?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    I do need to do a safelight fog test- one of those million things I've off.

As for "salting" the developer, wouldn't this also create a warmer image tone? I use Zonal Pro HQ 1:10, BTW.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have had this with some homebrew paper developers and usually it was fixed by adding a little benzotriazole to the developer

Shooter
    35mm
    If the solution were salting the developer or adding a restrainer, would that then point to chemical fogging as the problem?

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gary,

not with my experience - the safelights are safe and tested, red and yellow LEDs and the paper is very slow, two or three stops slower than MG4RC.

But it might have been some older stock, it sold dirt-cheap at the Foma company outlet in Prague.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This may have absolutely nothing to do with your circumstances but I'll throw it out anyway. The data sheet for Ilford Multigrade papers notes that warmest image color on their fiber base paper is achieved by extended washing.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think that does apply, and is an example of whiteners being washed out with extended washing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin