Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,856   Online: 791

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Come on guys! The F4 is extremely accurate. Just rely on your camera and that's it...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What about that Fuji MS stuff that's like 200-1000 Asa? Is that the right name?

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Come on guys! The F4 is extremely accurate. Just rely on your camera and that's it...
    Matrix metering does a good job, but it certainly can be fooled. And it gives the exposure Nikon thinks the picture should have. In lots of situations it works fine, but so does Sunny 16. It should be monitored, IMO. Nothing beats experience, and someone experienced with Matrix metering should know it thoroughly enough that they know when to question it. I've never entrusted slide film to any AE system, but I'm very picky about exposure with slide film.

A lot of people say something like "Matrix works perfectly for 95% of your shots." But what if the shot you really want is one of the other 5%? It's not that difficult to be sure of the exposure, but just relying on the camera without thinking about it means that there will be times when exposure will not be accurate.
    Last edited by lxdude; 07-06-2013 at 02:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm shooting a roll of Fuji Provia 1600 at 800 ASA right now with my Nikon F90x.

Why don't you do a small test at home? Shoot one slide film with the Nikon F4 exposure meter at + 1/3 stop and with Matrix metering. Find some settings you'll hope to shoot in New Orleans, take some shots (street, marketplace, people, building, store window, parked cars, ...) and get the film developed before you go New Orleans. Are the results satisfactory to you? If not, what to adapt?

An other test could be to bracket some shots at locations with challenging light: -1/3 stop, normal, + 1/3 stop and compare.
    You could also use the "Program" setting and shoot the same scene metered with a hand meter to see if you can outdo the Nikon F4 ;-)
    This way you get to know & trust your camera and the film before you go for the real thing.

And don't forget: have fun and post some images later when you return.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bernard_L View Post
    You better double check. If it were negative film, that would be on the safe side. With slide, that might be ~1/2 stop overexposed, which is worse than 1/2 under.
    I would not use slides for street. Exposure is tough with slides when mixed with street. If you have done it before then fine. But for me it does not work.

Shooter
    35mm
    I shot over 500 kodachromes in its last 2 years with my Leicas. Understanding a scene makes using any lightmeter very easy. Nothing complicated, really. It's all about experience. Even an incident meter is useless to the unexperienced.

Rule of thumb: have fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot over 500 kodachromes in its last 2 years with my Leicas. Understanding a scene makes using any lightmeter very easy. Nothing complicated, really. It's all about experience. Even an incident meter is useless to the unexperienced.

All true.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

I seriously doubt you have shot 500 kodachromes in the last 2 years... at least I doubt that you can prove that your exposures were correct, seeing as kodachrome processing ended decmber 2010....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Re-read the first sentence of your quote, Stone.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Re-read the first sentence of your quote, Stone.
    DOH!!!!!! hahahaa FAIL... hahahaha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin