Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,739   Online: 907
      
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    697
    Ha!

    Leica's shutters are inaccurate by a third of a stop here or there. Combine that with a third of a stop of inaccurate exposure reading here or there and you suddenly see yourself hitting perfect exposures more often then not. It's the devil's work I tell'ya.

  2. #22
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,582
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Ha!

    Leica's shutters are inaccurate by a third of a stop here or there. Combine that with a third of a stop of inaccurate exposure reading here or there and you suddenly see yourself hitting perfect exposures more often then not. It's the devil's work I tell'ya.
    So long as your exposure is off in the right direction. Shutter error is one reason why I'm so picky. The devil's work indeed.

    It definitely helps to know through experience what exposure to expect from a particular camera. Almost always my Japanese SLR's were within a fifth of a stop, except at the highest speeds where some were off by a quarter to a third stop. That was borne out by tests I had done, and the higher speeds were always brought back to at least a quarter stop accuracy by the repair guy.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    570
    Back in the "KE" ("Kodachrome Era"), I used Kodachrome 64 exclusively as my color film when shooting on the street. Since its discontinuation, I have switched to E100G (Provia 100F is likely next on deck). I really don't know why the fuss about the (alleged) difficulty in using slide film when shooting on the street. I have always relied on in-camera meters when street shooting and have had a pretty good success rate (admittedly, though, I am a serial bracketer... ) .
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

    Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

  4. #24
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,582
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    Back in the "KE" ("Kodachrome Era"), I used Kodachrome 64 exclusively as my color film when shooting on the street. Since its discontinuation, I have switched to E100G (Provia 100F is likely next on deck). I really don't know why the fuss about the (alleged) difficulty in using slide film when shooting on the street. I have always relied on in-camera meters when street shooting and have had a pretty good success rate (admittedly, though, I am a serial bracketer... ) .
    I seldom bracket, though I do sometimes when there's a good reason to. What I don't understand is how someone can bracket street, if it's a fleeting moment.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    34
    Rainy weather is going to be a major factor in the Big Easy. An 81C filter is your friend when it's overcast. I love Velvia 50, but I can see why many folks don't. It's super contrasty and the colors pop right out at you (especially golden hour shots). But hey, if you don't like colors, shoot B&W. By all means, shoot a test roll of whatever you are going to take. If you're planning on scanning the slides, overexpose 1/3 stop - a dense slide is no fun to scan. There's no monitor out there that can replicate the look of Velvia projected with a good bulb through a prime lens onto a nice screen in a dark room. But they are exactly as captured for better or worse. Exposure must be nailed.
    Last edited by Clovis Blevins; 07-07-2013 at 03:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  6. #26
    MartinCrabtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Back in the hills
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    639
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I seldom bracket, though I do sometimes when there's a good reason to. What I don't understand is how someone can bracket street, if it's a fleeting moment.
    My F5 does 8 frames per second (on a fresh set of good batteries) and bracketing can be preset for exposure. That oughta do the job.

  7. #27
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,028
    Images
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCrabtree View Post
    My F5 does 8 frames per second (on a fresh set of good batteries) and bracketing can be preset for exposure. That oughta do the job.
    Pissing contest? My Canon 1V does 10fps and also preprogramable bracketing in 3 and 5 (and possibly a third) stops.

    Hehe




    ~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin