Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,329   Online: 870

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hypo clearing agent uneeded for film?

Was told film does not need hypo clear since it does not absorb much.

What do you think about this?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Modern films don't need hypo clearing as the bases are much thinner and easier to wash.

In the old days , the emulsion was much thicker and took longer to wash , and hence HCA.

There is one of the European films that would benefit and I am sure someone will chime and and mention which one, as the name as slipped my mind.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use rapid fix for all my films and FB paper, only use HCA for paper.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you use alkali fixer, there is no need for HCA at all!
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There will be people who say it is unnecessary for anything and those who call it indispensable. I use it only for fiber-based paper.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used it for more than two decades. It may not be necessary, but I follow the wash routine recommended by Permawash and my negs from the 1970s and 80s are just fine. We use well water, so we don't like to waste it on longer washes than necessary. I can't say if its needed or not, but it works for me and I'll stick with it.

Shooter
    35mm
    If I recall correctly Ralph Lambrecht in his book still lists HCA as a stage in film processing so presumably he believes that it serves a purpose.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford recommends that if a non-hardening fixer is used, a 5-10-20 inversion method of washing will leave the film clean. After fixing, fill the tank with clear water the same temp as the process, and invert the tank 5 times. Drain and refill, inverting 10 times, then draining. Finally, fill the tank once again, inverting 20 times, then draining. At this point the film is ready to either be soaked in photo flo(or whatever brand) of rinse aid then hung to dry. For those who prefer to conserve water, this is a wonderful method, I recommend it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use HCA and then do the Ilford wash method. This is not because I know anything, but rather because I don't want to find out the hard way a few years from now that it was necessary.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd never used it for my Tmax400 in Xtol, nor my Rollei Retro 100 & APX100 in Rodinal (those are the main 3 that I've dev'd at home lately), although I'd read on the Tmax datasheet something about needing HypoClear or it goes pink. It never went pink.

Then I did a roll of Tmax400 and my first roll of TriX 400 together in the same tank in xtol. Fixed in Ilford RapidFixer as I always do, washed using the Ilford 5-10-20 washing method, hung them out to dry, and the Tri-X was pink. Very pink.
    So the next day I went and got some Kodak HypoClear, didn't want to mix the whole 5L so I just put one spoon in one litre, re-spooled the TriX and washed it again, it turned out fine.

It's one of those things that, if you don't do it, there's a chance something may go wrong, but there's no downsides to doing it besides spending a bit of cash. So I'm probably just going to do it from now on (at least for my TriX).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin