Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,450   Posts: 1,570,093   Online: 879

Thread: Pre-mix chem

Shooter
    35mm

Pre-mix chem

Hi all,

I've only devoloped only a few rolls of Ilford HP5 Plus, and I would like to streamline my process. At the moment, the chems are HC-110 Dil. H, Ilford rapid fix,Ilford stop bath and Photoflo 200. The stop bath and fixer are premixed in 1/2 gallon datataners, and the photoflo in a gallon distilled water jug. I was wondering if keeping a pre-mixed batch of HC-110 one shot would have any ill effects such as it loosing its potency.

What im thinking, to make things a bit simpler for me, is that instead of using measuring cups to hold and chill the chem due to the fact I do not want to lug around 1/2 gallon jugs, I will be using 20 oz glass bottles when I go and devolop film. My ultimate goal is to grab one container that contains everything I need. How it is right now is all my gear is sitting in a Sterlite container, but the jugs will not fit. This is why I would like to try the 20 oz glass jars. There will be one for each of the 4 chem, pre-measured, just grab and pour.

As a side question, Earlier this morning I picked up paper dev "ilford multi grade" and not having any print experience, is that stuff one shot like hc-110?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't pre-mix Photoflo at stock dilution - it will grow things. You can work with intermediate stock solutions and isopropyl alcohol.

HC-110 starts to deteriorate as soon as you add water. If you intend to use it in the next couple of days, you can follow the other HC-110 instructions, make up an intermediate stock solution, and dilute that further before use but the intermediate stock solution will also deteriorate in a relatively short time.

Glass jars break when they fall.

The fixer can be stored at working strength in 1 litre plastic containers and used over several weeks until exhausted.

Unless you are working in really extreme temperatures, you can do everything at room temperature - just adjust the development time.

The paper developer is intended for one shot use - for more info read Ilford's data sheet on their website.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A bit late to be asking questions now. Most people would not recommend the use of any dilution higher than dilution E for you at this time. When you are more experienced/knowledgeable you can experiment with higher dilutions. Read the following website for instructions in the use of HC-110, http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-06-2013 at 08:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pre-mixing developer is a bad idea as it will start to deteriorate as soon as diluted to working solution mix. Also, you'd have to measure out the amount and regulate the temperature anyway, so I really don't think you'd be saving any time or yourself of hassles. Pre-mixing stop and fix is no problem at all. I do that here. Another "bad idea" category is HCA. It eats oxygen vigorously.

I used PhotoFlo pre-mixed at half the recommended dilution. Never had growing problems.... although I hear it is a possibility.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The paper developer is intended for one shot use - for more info read Ilford's data sheet on their website.
    Let me make this more precise: paper developer, when mixed in sufficient quantity and used in trays, can be used over and over again, but for no longer than a few days.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With paper developers it is important not to exceed the recommended capacity of the developer This is usually given as the number of 8x10 sheets or equivalent. If you reuse the developer then the capacity is further reduced due to aerial oxidation. If I have only run a couple of sheets thru it I may save it overnight. but never for more than a day. Developer is cheap paper is not.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin