Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,323   Online: 923

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    Will it stil mix OK with tap temp water? Or does the water have to be heated?
    D-76 requires hot water, forget the exact temp. It will say on the package.

Ilford's ID-11, a D-76 look alike, needs 40C / 104F so hot tap water depending on your set up at home may work.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    Will it stil mix OK with tap temp water? Or does the water have to be heated?
    The temp needed to be heated to is 122F to 131F, somewere in that range, also distilled water is a hell lot better than tap water for mixing any chemistry, especially developer. Tap water has many minerals in it, whereas distilled has none.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you mix a stronger solution and then cool it off quickly with cooler water to reach the proper concentration?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Can you mix a stronger solution and then cool it off quickly with cooler water to reach the proper concentration?
    You could, however it's not really an advantage.

When I used deep tanks and ID-11/D76 we always noticed the first few films in a new batch lacked the quality of the later films, first fresh D76 hasn't had time to equilibilise which takes a few hours, and second later films benefit from the slight build up in bromide and other pocessing by-products once a few films have been processed. The Highest quality from full strength ID-11/D76 is when used replenished, followed by using at 1+2.

Remember these developers were designed for replenishment from the outset.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jensenhallstrom View Post
    Hi, ive seen a thread or two on this subject, some people have explained they havent had any trouble with using their freshly mixed stock d-76 as soln as it cools, others say you have to wait 24 hours after mixing to use. Can i get a legitimate explanation why this 24 hour rule would help the developer in whatever aspect rather than using as soon as it cools? Thanks.
    Since you used the word "legitimate", I'd say Kodak and Ilford are probably the most legitimate sources for D-76/ID-11. Follow their mixing/processing directions. I don't think either company indicates any kind of "stabilization" period is needed after mixing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Since you used the word "legitimate", I'd say Kodak and Ilford are probably the most legitimate sources for D-76/ID-11. Follow their mixing/processing directions. I don't think either company indicates any kind of "stabilization" period is needed after mixing.
    Michael:

IIRC, the package directions themselves on D-76 recommend waiting 24 hours after mixing.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    You could, however it's not really an advantage.

When I used deep tanks and ID-11/D76 we always noticed the first few films in a new batch lacked the quality of the later films, first fresh D76 hasn't had time to equilibilise which takes a few hours, and second later films benefit from the slight build up in bromide and other pocessing by-products once a few films have been processed. The Highest quality from full strength ID-11/D76 is when used replenished, followed by using at 1+2.

Remember these developers were designed for replenishment from the outset.

Ian
    The problem you describe here is typical of replenished systems, but not one shot systems, there is no build up of anything with one shot.

As to equalizing, what reactions are going on?

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Michael:

IIRC, the package directions themselves on D-76 recommend waiting 24 hours after mixing.
    Ilford's info does not.

I haven't been able to find a copy of the D76 mixing instructions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Michael:

Hi Matt, I don't have a package handy but I'd be pretty surprised if it said that. It isn't in the tech publication either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jensenhallstrom View Post
    .... Tap water has many minerals in it, whereas distilled has none.
    It depends on your water supply, not all dissolved minerals are detrimental. Kodak designed their chemicals and development times for "normal" tap water whatever that is. They do not specifically recommend distilled water because it might actually change the developer's performance slightly. I would be more concerned with the water used with the Photo-Flo, which at least ought to be filtered - distilled might be even better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin