Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,979   Online: 931

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a twirler, not an inverter.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    Thanks, the kinks were from cutting the leader poorly, and humidity, ugh
    I'm developing a single roll in a two reel Paterson tank (both reels in), how do I prevent the surge marks?

Kodak's specs say, invert 5-7 in 5 seconds, which seems aggressive and when I finish and place it back on the counter, I can hear the developer rush back down for a second or two. When I invert, am I supposed to let all of the developer drain towards the cap (due to it being half full?), or just go back and forth quickly?
    I found that if agitating by inversions and using 2 reel tank, I have better results when using developer etc. volume which covers both reels regardless if only one reel is loaded with film. I use recommended volume per 2 reels (it should be written on the bottom of the tank). Do not fill up tank completely because liquids wont have a room to move while agitating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiedzmin View Post
    I found that if agitating by inversions and using 2 reel tank, I have better results when using developer etc. volume which covers both reels regardless if only one reel is loaded with film. I use recommended volume per 2 reels (it should be written on the bottom of the tank). Do not fill up tank completely because liquids wont have a room to move while agitating.
    Here's your answer. Filling a 2 reel tank half full when developing only one film and inverting, causes too aggressive/violent agitation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    I'm a twirler, not an inverter.
    Stop that, it's disgusting!

Seriously though, the twirl-stick method is not recommended in Paterson tanks because it is not sufficient agitation. You will get uneven development, especially with high dilution developers. You must invert unless you put them on a rotary base and roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Stop that, it's disgusting!

Seriously though, the twirl-stick method is not recommended in Paterson tanks because it is not sufficient agitation. You will get uneven development, especially with high dilution developers. You must invert unless you put them on a rotary base and roll.
    I've been doing it this way for a long time with no problems.
    Besides, high dilution developers are often used with stand development where there is no agitation at all (after the first 1/2 to 1 minute).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    You must invert unless you put them on a rotary base and roll.
    That's the way I roll. Occasionally for one roll of black & white I will invert.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin