Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,112   Online: 1041

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

chemical storage containers

I recently started printing 16x20, which of course required larger trays holding larger amounts of chemistry than I was previously set up for. I bought some gallon plastic pitchers at Walmart in which to mix up chemistry, and find they are also much easier, larger, and more stable targets to empty trays into than a funnel and storage jug. Now I'm wondering why I don't just store my fixer, toners, and bleach in the pitchers? They have lids which obviously do not fit as tightly as the jugs and could not use them to store developer, but are other chemicals affected by oxidation as is developer?

Just wondering if anyone else uses pitchers to store chemicals other than developer.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm using a Rubbermaid 1 gallon pitcher for my Kodak hardening fixer (mixed from powder). It seals decently enough but I'm under no illusions that it's entirely airtight. So far no problem, I think it's about 2 months since I mixed the stuff and last used it successfully a few days ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know HCA eats oxygen like crazy. I would also not store most toners in a lose fitting containers because most brown toners smell of sulfur and the fume can damage emulsions. Selenium toners smell of ammonia. Also not that pleasant.

I can't think of a reason why Fixer will be damaged though. Stop bath also smells although they don't damage anything.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use a little sodium sulfite in water rather than HCA. And mix my own thiourea sepia toner that does not have sulfur. I've been experimenting with Se toner in a jug for awhile now and it doesn't stink up the place. And I use water stop.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin