Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,354   Online: 764

Shooter
    Medium Format

This is why lith printing is great.

I was printing this past Saturday with a colleague, Jim Hurtubise. I had came into a few boxes of old paper, and was running them through my usual test. I use a step wedge and make a grade 2 print, and then a grade 5 print. It lets me guage the contrast of the paper, as well as any base fogging. The paper was Forte Polygrade IV, which as you can see was fogged pretty badly. Almost a middle grey. I saw the results, and figured it was too far gone and chucked it in the garbage bin. Jim, not wanting to see any Forte go to waste, picked it out and said he'll try some lith with it. I made some cocky declaration along the lines of "if you want to waste your time with it, go nuts". Half an hour later he pulled this beautiful lith print out of the developer! I couldn't believe my eyes! Not only were the highlights a pretty clean white, but the dmax was significantly better as well. Never mind the beautiful image colour!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lith-is-great.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	71276

So: the print on the left, exposed at grade 5 and developed in dektol for 2 min 30 s. The print on the right is developed in homebrew D85 lith developer.

The moral of this story: no paper is too far gone to lith print with. Don't throw it out, give it to a lith printer and let them make something beautiful with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice story!

Unfortunately I've had bad luck with old paper, but this proves that it can work!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some older paper are better than others. I like Forte Polygrade for lith a lot, but it's inconsistent from box to box, I have found. Some look very grainy, and others less so. When it works well it's a lovely paper for lith printing.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You have given me hope for what I thought was a badly fogged box of Sterling Lith Paper, not to mention several other boxes of fogged paper. Now I will have to fish through likely negatives ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ha! Every box of Sterling I've ever used has been fogged, and so far the only bad lith prints I've made with it have been my fault. If my experience is anything to go by, megzdad81, you're in for some real fun.
    A L-q

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin