Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,556   Online: 977

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm getting superb rich cold tones using Kentmere Fineprint VC developed in amidol then mildly toned in GP1 (or similar) gold toner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Amidol and gold toner...how does it do with more common developers and selenium? Amidol is PITA with its staining and gold is $$$$.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    All

Very informative...i'll summarize...

- RC Papers - not really interested. These days if i'm going to spend time hand printing i want to see something special at the end...i'd rather print digitally on baryta than print rc in the darkroom

- Gold toning - i had thought of this option but as you point out the cost is very high...prohibitive in fact

- kentmere - this is interesting. Since it is no longer available at Freestyle i just assumed it had been discontinued...apparently not. Good news. Unfortunately it appears only to be available in grade 3. Thats a problem ... Contrast control is essential in my view so only one grade is a serious limitation.

- Slavich - same story - freestyle no longer has it so i thought it was no more ... Apparently not true. However, once again...only grade 3 available. Now this is the funny part - i had used this paper for a few pics several years ago and liked it...and forgot that i still have some in my fridge! So at least i could do a few images. I have grades 2-4. I agree btw - i was suprised at the quality which was quite nice and quite cold.

- Ilford cooltone fiber - yes it would be great if Ilford took this step. Great company that makes great products. I use some of their film and have used mg4...great quality and consistency but not cold enough for me. From a commercial perspective i guess ilford believes it won't be profitable to offer a fiber version along with their cooltone developer...but i have to wonder if that analysis still holds. It was probably done in an era of many cold tone competitors - Forte, Kentmere, Slavich, Luminous, etc - now all gone except for limited grade 3 only options. Ilford could literally have nearly 100 percent of this part of the market. Something to think about perhaps.

Once again thanks everyone. I'll keep watching...and in the meantime maybe finish off my Slavich stock...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I just bought Slavich grade 3 and 4 if I need a grade 2, there is always Legacy Pro Selectol Soft

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...flections.html

Legacy Pro Selectol Soft:
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/750710...-Make-1-Gallon

More food for thought

Btw, gold chloride isn't as expensive as you'd think. 1g of gold chloride is something like $50 shipped, you can prob tone a lot of prints with that....though I don't know your "print throughput"

I mix it up after making the T-26 at the below:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/g23/g23.pdf

Bought the chems at Formulary...

Last, there are rumors of Ilford bringing back from the dead Cooltone Dev!
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...developer.html

How's about askin' Simon for an update?
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried the Slavich paper a few years ago and found problems with the coating quality; however it may have been a bad batch.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hansformat View Post
    All

Very informative...i'll summarize...

- RC Papers - not really interested. These days if i'm going to spend time hand printing i want to see something special at the end...i'd rather print digitally on baryta than print rc in the darkroom

- Gold toning - i had thought of this option but as you point out the cost is very high...prohibitive in fact

- kentmere - this is interesting. Since it is no longer available at Freestyle i just assumed it had been discontinued...apparently not. Good news. Unfortunately it appears only to be available in grade 3. Thats a problem ... Contrast control is essential in my view so only one grade is a serious limitation.

- Slavich - same story - freestyle no longer has it so i thought it was no more ... Apparently not true. However, once again...only grade 3 available. Now this is the funny part - i had used this paper for a few pics several years ago and liked it...and forgot that i still have some in my fridge! So at least i could do a few images. I have grades 2-4. I agree btw - i was suprised at the quality which was quite nice and quite cold.

- Ilford cooltone fiber - yes it would be great if Ilford took this step. Great company that makes great products. I use some of their film and have used mg4...great quality and consistency but not cold enough for me. From a commercial perspective i guess ilford believes it won't be profitable to offer a fiber version along with their cooltone developer...but i have to wonder if that analysis still holds. It was probably done in an era of many cold tone competitors - Forte, Kentmere, Slavich, Luminous, etc - now all gone except for limited grade 3 only options. Ilford could literally have nearly 100 percent of this part of the market. Something to think about perhaps.

Once again thanks everyone. I'll keep watching...and in the meantime maybe finish off my Slavich stock...
    Kentmere is still available at Freestyle:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/catego...hite-Paper?mfg[]=209

Secondly, when was the last time you printed on RC? Modern RC looks good enough that I sometimes wonder why I bother with the hassles of FB. Especially once under glass, if it's going to be framed. Longevity concerns are, of course, a different issue. I print all contact sheets on RC, at least. I don't like RC glossy as a rule (except for contact sheets, for which it's better of course than any textured paper if you are going to examine smaller frames from 35mm or 120 under a loupe) but the pearl and similar surfaces are now quite good.

My main issue with Ilford Cooltone is that it isn't available larger than 11x14 and I don't want to get hooked on a paper I can't get in 16x20.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    I tried the Slavich paper a few years ago and found problems with the coating quality; however it may have been a bad batch.

Tom
    FYI: I expected to see emulsion problems with this paper, and that may have been true prior to my uses, but have had none, reliably producing several fine prints from it in sizes from 11x14 to 20x24. However, the "double weight" Slavich is a bit thin, more of a single and a half at most, so bear that in mind when processing. Do not write notes or otherwise mark on the back of it within the image area. For more political reasons (), I'd prefer to invest in the Czech Foma papers, if only a cold tone paper was available.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    With regard to rc paper you have hit the nail on the head. I like glossy paper...rc gloss however is too shiny. Gemerally fiber gloss is perfect ... Glossy but with texture and wave that is quite nice, and not too reflective. The glossy in the baryta digiital papers can be very good also...eg Harmon gloss baryta and Canson Baryta. Both striking with 'pop'. And you get archival stability along for the ride as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    This may be an unpopular answer in this forum but I absolutely love Oriental VC RC paper in the smaller sizes for its coolish tones and overall reporoduction of my images. I use the fiber base in 16"x20" and 20"x24" because it is easier to have mounted than RC. While it is not as cold toned as the original poster probably desired, it is colder toned and simply better IMO than a lot of the other papers remaining on the market. As for longevity, I've used it the RC version for decades and have had no image degradation to date.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nothing in RC quite matches FB glossy or what used to be called "glossy dried matte" back when people actually still ferotyped. But the Ilford Pearl and similar surfaces from other makers come close enough that you likely won't notice the difference IF mounted under glass and viewed from more than a few inches away. Of course without the glass and/or viewed up close, the difference is more apparent.

I have two mounted and framed 8x10s on Ilford MGIV (or old enough they might be III, I'm not entirely sure) RC from the early 90s that have started to deteriorate in places. They are getting a pink/purplish stain around the edges near the mat and one of them in some parts of the image. It could be due to my processing but RC is pretty simple. Both were selenium toned but not for significant color change, just cooling the natural green tint and deepening D-max. That might bear into color of the degradation but I'd expect selenium to help it, not hurt it. I've no idea if modern papers would do this if treated similarly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin