Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,311   Online: 1075

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Oriental vc fb cold?

All

I've really cut down my darkroom work in favor of digital printing and one key reason is the lack of a good cold tone fiber paper. However i just noticed that freestyle has Oriental which they claim is cold tone. Searches on the web and on this forum don't yield much info however.

Has anyone tried this paper? Is it good? Is the tone cold and with what developer?

Any info appreciated!

Shooter
    35mm
    That paper is absolutely amazing! I don't know to what extent it's cold, though. But the finish and the way it dries amazes me each and every time I use it. I can say it's my favorite paper.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Plenty of papers can yield a cold tone.

Generally, the easiest way to achieve this is to use Dokumol at 1 + 6 and make sure that you develop for a minimum of 3 minutes.

As an example, combining this developer with Forte Polywarmtone yielded neutral to cold tones

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hard to say if it is "cold" (subjective) but I used a lot of it a few years ago (always with Dektol) and found it as neutral/cold as any cold paper I've used when toned in Selenium. The longer you tone it (orthe more concentrated the toner) the more steely-purple it gets. Cold is traditionally blue-black to most people (I think) so there are some developers which may help do that. Moersch makes a few.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    All

First off thanks for the info. Appreciated.

My experience seems to be a bit different than some of yours. For example i do not think you can make any paper look cold. For example, i tried doing that with Adox MCC. I used Moersch se6 cold/blue developer with finisher blue. Result? Neutral at best. Maybe even slightly warm. Note i am not criticizing the paper or the developer...both seem to me to be quite exceptional in fact and i was proud of the result...but the result was not cold or even cool.

Cool to me means slightly bluish rich blacks and greys. When compared visually vs neeutral the brown in neutral is obvious. Forte plygrade in Edwal Ultra black did this nicely. Ilford cooltone in its now discontinued cooltobe developer seemed to also get to this point from the screen images i've seen. Digitally using the Epson ABW (advanced black white) mode set to 'cool' certainly does this.

I fear this result may no longer be achievable in the traditional darkroom. All is not lost i do achieve it digitally with exceelent rrsults on the Baryta papers...but i like working in the darkroom. I guess the Oriental is my last hope.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want a more substantial shift to blue-black gold toning will do the trick.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I am a huge fan of cold tone printing. I find bromide paper (Slavich Unibrom) nice and cold rich blacks that tones well in gold toner (eg Kodak T-26). However I've never tried the Oriental VC FB Coldtone.

There is also Kentmere:
    Bromide FB B&W Paper Grade #3 8 x 10" (100 Sheets) Glossy

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/603415-REG
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hans,

I wouldn't place too much hope in the Oriental paper if the emulsion is the same as when I tried it 4 years ago. It wasn't cold as such. Perhaps our best hope is if Harman manufacture a cooltone fibre base paper at some point in the future. Kentmere Fineprint FB paper may be worth a try as well.

The other way to get cold tones is to gold tone a warm paper but this isn't an inexpensive process...

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, almost any RC paper is cold tone. But I can't stand RC papers.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hansformat View Post
    All

I've really cut down my darkroom work in favor of digital printing and one key reason is the lack of a good cold tone fiber paper. However i just noticed that freestyle has Oriental which they claim is cold tone. Searches on the web and on this forum don't yield much info however.

Has anyone tried this paper? Is it good? Is the tone cold and with what developer?

Any info appreciated!
    I print almost entirely cold tone. I use roll Oriental VC fiber, selenium toned, to extend my editions into murals, from graded Slavich, Kentmere, and old Oriental sheets. Yes, it is tough to find true cold tone papers but this paper does the job for me, if inelegantly, since I must redetermine proper grade when completing an edition. The same cannot be said of the new graded Oriental, which I believe Freestyle no longer carries, and is a neutral–warm tone, brownish in color similar to Bergger papers. It hasn't toned to a cold tone, but for me, it works for some images better than a true cold tone. However, extending editions in size from these papers then becomes problematic as there presently is no complementary roll paper available. I don't know why the remainder of paper manufacturers figure that traditional printers only want to print warm.

FWIW (not much apparently), I was informed earlier this year that Freestyle was going to be importing Slavich papers under a different name by now. They are pretty much the only true cold tone graded papers currently available.
    Last edited by ROL; 07-10-2013 at 04:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin