Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,552   Online: 1178

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Didn't even know what it was until I checked around. Gravure looks interesting. Have you done either copper plate gravure or polymer gravure? . . .
    No, I haven't tried it myself. I believe there was a thread here (or, maybe on the LF forum) about gravure a couple of weeks ago. The discussion centered around making a fair number of essentially identical prints, as I recall. The thread included several references to what appeared to be strong resources explaining the process and procedures. My impression, however, was that it's a fairly involved process, and almost an art form in itself.

Quality-wise, well-done gravure prints I've seen nearly rival silver prints. Some very-pricey photo books have been done using gravure. I seem to recall a couple of books from Aperture that used the gravure process, with the prints mounted to the regular pages in the book.

For the postcard exchange, I still think doing a master print of moderate size, and then a large format copy neg that could be contact printed is the most practical approach.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    [...]
    For the postcard exchange, I still think doing a master print of moderate size, and then a large format copy neg that could be contact printed is the most practical approach.

Since the print size is so small, I'm inclined to agree that for the next postcard exchange I participate in, I'll make a print around 8-inches or so on the short dimension and copy it with the Crown Graphic. The main downside is that it limits the size and cropping of the card.

Regardless of whether I use it for the postcard exchange or not, the internegative thing sounds like a great way to approach a larger main print exchange. The

Gravure sounds just plain cool. I'm going to have to check with local galleries and see if I can find any examples to look at. BPFB-18 sounds like the material to use for the internegative. Since I'm likely to be shooting 35mm for a while, I'll probably look around and find a good lith sheet film with which to make a projection printed interpositive.

If you do run across that thread you were talking about, plz post a link. Sounds like it might be a bit better than what I've found so far.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet

Since the print size is so small, I'm inclined to agree that for the next postcard exchange I participate in, I'll make a print around 8-inches or so on the short dimension and copy it with the Crown Graphic. The main downside is that it limits the size and cropping of the card.

Regardless of whether I use it for the postcard exchange or not, the internegative thing sounds like a great way to approach a larger main print exchange. The

Gravure sounds just plain cool. I'm going to have to check with local galleries and see if I can find any examples to look at. BPFB-18 sounds like the material to use for the internegative. Since I'm likely to be shooting 35mm for a while, I'll probably look around and find a good lith sheet film with which to make a projection printed interpositive.

If you do run across that thread you were talking about, plz post a link. Sounds like it might be a bit better than what I've found so far.

-KwM-
    Kevin,

Have you been checked for OCD. These are postcards for Pete's sake. Relax and just make a print and mail it to the other person. If they are not EXACTLY what you would sell in a fine print, no one will know or be rude enough to point it out.

lee\c

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Kevin,

Have you been checked for OCD. These are postcards for Pete's sake. Relax and just make a print and mail it to the other person. If they are not EXACTLY what you would sell in a fine print, no one will know or be rude enough to point it out.

lee\c
    Not quite in those terms, but that is about what I was thinking...

I'm on my way to the darkroom now to get the postcards done at last. I have a negative that is very difficult to print, so I made a 30x40cm print, and photographed that with my Bronica. That gives me a nice 6x4.5 negative that is easy to print!

Returning to the reproduction thingy for a while (just because it's interesting), I just read about using negatives as printing plates! Negatives developed with some staining developers have enough surface relief for this - think I'll give it a try some day...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Kevin,

lee\c
    (*chuckle*)

Hey Lee,

I'll be the first to admit there's a certain "Anal Retentive Chef" component to most of what I do. When Dianna and I were writing our book, or when I was writing articles, I'd irritate more editors with lots of lengthy footnotes that would crawl up from the bottom of the page and start to crowd out the main content.

In defense of the level of effort I'm assigning to these postcards, three things come to mind, though:
    • The difference in time, expense and effort between "good enough not to warrant shame upon posting" and my best effort seems to be small enough that I can't see not spending the extra resources to do so.
    • One "feature" of modern life seems to be that with the increased unwarranted urgency of every single thing and the introduction of countless new ultimately barely moderately important things to get all cranked up about and then leave in some partially completed state, I've officially declared photography as the one thing that come hell or high water, I'll not declare done until I'm so close to completely satisfied with the result that any further effort would be an exercise in futility. Like just about everything else, satisfaction with photography is asymptotic. At the end of the day, though, I'd like to know that everything I've done behind a camera; in the darkroom; or bent over a print with a spotting brush, squinting through a magnifier, has crossed well over the threshold of pride. Photography is at once both my religion and my therapy: both cause and cure for my affliction.
    • Whenever I make a "keeper" print, especially one to give to someone else, I'm mindful of the fact that 99.99%+ of all the photography being generated now will be either blank paper or vague magnetic whisps at the bottom of some landfill during my lifetime. Everyone working in analog, for that matter, should probably remember that their prints and negatives will be the sole photographic record of a generation or two in years to come. Out of all the postcards I will have made for all the postcard exchanges I will have participated in by the time I kick, it pleases me to know that maybe one or two of the postcards may end up in a cubicle in an antique mall a hundred years or so from now. I'd like try and make them pleasing to the eye and thought evoking for whoever picks them up in that distant time.

A friend pretty much summed it up when he quoted the Dali Lama to me once: "What you do is of absolutely no importance, and it's vitally essential that you do it."

-KwM-

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    lol,

I was just pulling your chain. I liked the note tho and the Dali Lamas quote.

lee\c

but they are just postcards <smile>

l\c

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin