Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,022   Online: 799

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Glacial + Indicator Stop

Just thinking, I have about equal parts glacial acetic and Kodak indicator stop bath. Anyone see any problems with mixing them together and diluting accordingly for use? The glacial acetic's about 10 years old & I'd hate to see it go to waste. The indicator should still turn color when the combined working solution is expired, although the color saturation would be much diluted, right?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have half full gallon bottle of glacial I've had since 1978. My vote is to keep it It sure came in handy last year when I had a squirrel infestation between my roof layers. Pour a little of that on a rag and hold it near the opening they found, and they were out of there in no time, and never came back. I didn't want to use poison and have dead bodies up there. That is some mean stuff. Some day you'll have something you will find a very good use for.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Tom what a great story!!!! You gave them the choice of their fate, looks like they chose the correct path.
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Or just use the glacial at about 1.5% dilution and don't bother with indicator. When it no longer smells vinegary (acetic acid becomes various acetates after neutralisation) then chuck it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glacial doesn't go bad. A gallon of glacial lasts a long, long time. It makes almost 70 gallons of working strength stop bath.

I do use a combination of Kodak Indicator Stop bath and 28%: 33ml of 28% + 6ml of indicator -> 1 liter of working strength.

The indicator in Kodak's product isn't ideal as by the time the bromo-cresol purple changes color the stop bath has been worthless for quite some time. I pitch the bath when the color changes from orange to pale yellow. It has been suggested that bromo-cresol green would be a better indicator.

An even longer lasting staple is a gallon jug of Photo-Flo 600, equal to 600 gallons of working Photo-Flo.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem in the original question is that the strengths of glacial acetic acid and Kodak Indicator Stopbath are different. Mixing them together would create a solution of unknown strength. Better to use each alone until one is used up.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Use up the glacial first and then stick with indicator.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just an idea, why not measure the PH of the diluted indicator stop bath and prepare glacial acid solution of identical PH and mix them both. The final ph won't deviate dramatically. Diluted indicator dye will work regardless of the dilution, only the ph of the solution matters.

If it is any help, https://www2.itap.purdue.edu/msds/docs/9726.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy some 30% hydrogen peroxide and some cupric chloride to add to the glacial acetic and do some Mordançage.
    I would use it separately from the indicator version, though, and just dump each working solution when it no longer stinks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, a wealth of knowledge here as always! Separate it is, then.

I'd grown to prefer odorless stop in recent years but ran out unexpectedly. There were these two bottles of acetic on the shelf that got me thinking...usually a bad thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin