Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,864   Online: 883

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Credit where credit is due

As many know I live in the Ottawa area. It, probably like many places , is becoming very difficult to find a place where you can just walk in and get any darkroom supplies you might need. They will take orders and then they can't give you a specific date when your stuff will arrive. Worse yet, they will call you and tell you it is in but the guys working behind the counter are much more in tune to the dark world than they are with analog. Hence it turns out to be the wrong thing after a half hour ride to the shop. I finally got frustrated to the point where I decided to try ordering off the web. Chose an advertiser on APUG for my initial test. Emailed Big Camera. They got back to me immediately. Said that what I asked was temporarily out of stock. Then actually made the next step voluntarily. They recommended alternatives that were in stock. Perfect!! Old fashioned customer service by someone with product knowledge. I placed my order and added a small quantity of film to the order. Wanted to give it an honest try. Well Sir, not only did they ship the day I approved the order as placed with shipping charges and taxes included in the bottom line, they shipped it that day!! Unheard of. To sweeten the point they tossed in a few rolls of film for me gratis.

As you might guess, they now have a very loyal customer. This is in now way a paid endorcement just a sincere thank you from a photographer who feels like someone just through him a new lease on his passion for something he loves. Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wait, I thought analog was the dark world. I can't see shit in my darkroom
    Rob's a nice guy.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Get a Thomas Duplex, you can damned near see through your skin, so bright. Yeah, Rob is a great guy. Now he has another customer. Am already deciding what to get next.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My local store is exactly the same way, they are all but against film of any type. They have a huge refrigerator that USE to work, but since no one buys film anymore, they just neglected to fix it - took the doors off and now use it as shelf space for the few rolls of dusty film they have left.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sounds about right. Contact Big Camera, they ship all over the place. Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
    - took the doors off and now use it as shelf space for the few rolls of dusty film they have left.
    lol o lawd dusty film,
    it's sad I can actually picture this quite easily these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    dusty rolls are better than none at all I suppose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lightwisps View Post
    ... They will take orders and then they can't give you a specific date when your stuff will arrive. Worse yet, they will call you and tell you it is in but the guys working behind the counter are much more in tune to the dark world than they are with analog. Hence it turns out to be the wrong thing after a half hour ride to the shop. I finally got frustrated to the point where I decided to try ordering off the web. ...
    Why should a paying customer reward a business by giving them his hard-earned money when they don't give that customer what he wants?

I have been known to go into a convenience store to buy a few things like bread and milk but leave empty handed when they don't have the brand of cigarettes I asked for. I can cross the street and go to another convenience store, buy the bread and milk, plus the cigarettes I want. Why should I give ANY money to the first store when the second store has everything I want?

The thing that really gets my goat is when a store employee says, "We can order that for you."
    My answer to that is, "Why should I do that when I could have stayed home and ordered it from the internet?"

You've just done that. You've decided not to reward a business that doesn't give you what you want so you stayed home and ordered via the internet from a business who does.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Can we get a link or address for Big Camera? Googling "Big Camera" came up with some interesting but likely incorrect results.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sure, Skeochrob@gmail.com He is a nice, nice guy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin