Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,972   Posts: 1,523,587   Online: 915

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    When I have the time I'm going to try HP5+ pushed to 3200 to see how it compares directly with the Delta 3200 @ 3200.
    Yet another digression but...I've shot HP5 at 3200 and Delta 3200 at 3200, both souped in straight Microphen. It was the first time I'd used films at such speeds, and my development times were off - especially for Delta 3200, since I had not yet learned the "expose at 3200, develop for 6400" rule.

Contrast is waaaaay higher on the HP5, but grain is tighter. But that's not saying much, since Delta 3200 is known for having what some call "popcorn" grain. The obvious benefit of using the Delta, though, is that the reduce contrast gives much more shadow detail.

The gallery in which these images resides is located on pbase.my gallery on pbase with hp5 and delta 3200 The film notes are listed below each image, so you can find which ones are which film at what EI.

I can send 100% crops if anyone wants.

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was reading a Gainer article in PhotoTechniques today testing Rodinal with various forms of sodium. That's another topic, but apropos of this one, he mentions in the last paragraph (Jan/Feb 2002, p. 29) that with Arista D-Max (widely assumed to be Ilford Delta 400 or very similar), at 1+50 70F and 6 minutes he got a CI of 0.41, and at 12 minutes a CI of 0.53. He estimates that maximum achievable CI would be around 0.61 with Rodinal 1+50 and Arista D-Max. You may be hitting that limit if the films really are the same.

One form of sodium he tried in his tests was sodium ascorbate at 4 grams/liter, which was superadditive with the Rodinal and gave finer grain. With that combination, he diluted 1+50 and developed at the times for 1+25. Gainer doesn't mention it, but that could help with Delta 400 in Rodinal.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Lee & Kaiyen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Allan, many thanks for the info and the link. Looks like it's going to be a difficult choice as both of them at 3200 have their own distinctive but beautiful quality. Horses for courses I think

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Mr.Gainer is an expert in "perverting" developers by adding ascorbate.
    In this case it has nothing to do with sodium, but with the ascorbic acid itself (Vit-C)

There is an article in unblinkingeye about this and also several formulas, threads about the effects of ascorbate

Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    I was reading a Gainer article in PhotoTechniques today testing Rodinal with various forms of sodium. That's another topic, but apropos of this one, he mentions in the last paragraph (Jan/Feb 2002, p. 29) that with Arista D-Max (widely assumed to be Ilford Delta 400 or very similar), at 1+50 70F and 6 minutes he got a CI of 0.41, and at 12 minutes a CI of 0.53. He estimates that maximum achievable CI would be around 0.61 with Rodinal 1+50 and Arista D-Max. You may be hitting that limit if the films really are the same.

One form of sodium he tried in his tests was sodium ascorbate at 4 grams/liter, which was superadditive with the Rodinal and gave finer grain. With that combination, he diluted 1+50 and developed at the times for 1+25. Gainer doesn't mention it, but that could help with Delta 400 in Rodinal.

Lee
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Yes, Mr.Gainer is an expert in "perverting" developers by adding ascorbate.
    In this case it has nothing to do with sodium, but with the ascorbic acid itself (Vit-C)
    The main intent of the exercize was to find exactly how different forms of sodium affected grain in Rodinal and D-23, testing some long-standing assumptions. He tried sodium chloride (non-iodized), sodium sulfite, and sodium ascorbate to test how they affected grain. He also expected, I'm sure, to get increased activity with the sodium ascorbate, but it was also the "best" at both retaining acutance and producing finer grain. Sodium for fine grain, ascorbate for superadditivity. On both counts it might help with HP5+.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes Lee, adding a pinch of ascorbate to Rodinal helps a lot.
    Specially with Tri-X and other fast films.

Some added fog-base is present, but adding some sulphite also eliminates these.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes Lee, adding a pinch of ascorbate to Rodinal helps a lot.
    Specially with Tri-X and other fast films.

Some added fog-base is present, but adding some sulphite also eliminates these.
    Interesting... Have you tried benzotriazole in this mix rather than sodium sulfite to cut the base fog with less disolving of silver grain edges?

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    not really, my chemical pool is small these das and I haven;t got any Benzo.
    Mybe Patrick Gainer can answer this himself.

He also proposes perverted HC-110 as shown here:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=37

Shooter
    Multi Format
    not really, my chemical pool is small these das and I haven;t got any Benzo.
    I'll give it a try when I get a chance. If you have a chemical pool and read Gainer's info you must at least have some PHPlus in stock, right?

Lee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin