Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,732   Online: 804

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Ordering film during a heatwave?

I just ordered a bunch of film from BH. After I did it struck me this may be the wrong time to have ordered it. Every day is in the 90's. It is about a 4 day UPS trip here from BH.

Have any of you had problems with film getting overheated from summer transit? Or can film take heat for short spurts before it goes in the deep freeze?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think you would have any problem at all.

I once did a "heat stress" test on a handful of color neg films, briefly described here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/1...r-how-bad.html

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It will be ok. film can take heat like that for a short time without a problem.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If it were me, I'd wait. Why tempt fate?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    I just ordered a bunch of film from BH. After I did it struck me this may be the wrong time to have ordered it. Every day is in the 90's. It is about a 4 day UPS trip here from BH.

Have any of you had problems with film getting overheated from summer transit? Or can film take heat for short spurts before it goes in the deep freeze?

Thanks
    Are you ordering it for now/soon, or for 2050?

I tend to limit my "stocking up" orders to, I don't know, October through March.
    But that is entirely out of paranoia, especially since I am inconsistent in usage.
    For example, I have 2 bulk rolls of HP-5+ for real-soon-now. One is still in the freezer, one in the refrigerator. I think those were bought last fall. Or was it the fall before?

Still, I'll use them up in the next year or three. Fresh film, hot shipped, would be fine for that too.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You guys are being way too paranoid.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would not order Impossible (instant) film during this time of year. I left my Spectra camera in the car (out of direct sunlight and with the windows cracked) just long enough to have lunch and the next frame was toast.

Shooter
    35mm
    Unless you were very unlucky (like the packet being left in the window of a carriers truck in hot sunlight all day for four days), I don't think you'd have any problem. I've used film which had been forgotten in a hot garage for a year, and it was OK for all practical purposes.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I live the Desert Southwest with daytimes high ranging from upper 90s to I think we topped out at 119 last month, I order film and paper year around, most are delivered by FedX and so far no fogging at all, ever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin