Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,741   Online: 952

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Disposing of Perceptol

Hello Folks, as usual, I seek the wisdom of fellow APUGers. I bought my first batch of Perceptol, and I'm about to mix it up. There appear to be warnings all over the place (and in many languages!) about the toxicity of the A and B parts. After I use Perceptol, how should I get rid of it? I normally take my fixer and selenium to the local Household Hazardous Waste disposal place, but I just pour developer and stop down the drain. Should I also put the used Perceptol in HHW?

Tnx,

-- Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The data sheet for Perceptol (http://www.ilfordphoto.com/healthand...20SOLUTION.pdf) shows not particular hazards. The worst chemical in it is metol, which is common in most developers. You should be able to dispose of it down the drain without any problems.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Another one of those threads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What sort of quantities are you intending to use?

If they aren't industrial quantities, but rather the sort of quantities used in a home darkroom, I would suggest you treat the Perceptol with the same care you treat items like household cleaners.

Not the real nasty ones, like oven cleaner.

More like the stuff you use to clean your sink.

If you use stop bath as well, it is a great idea to mix used stop bath and developer together and discard them down the drain together.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Another one of those threads.
    Yes...

Mark, take that hint that Perceptol is not different than most other developers, have a look at those other didposal threads, at what you local authorities say and then make up your mind.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Mark,

I drop my spent chemicals off at the household waste station in Chicago. It has the advantage of being near a great breakfast place. Here is something near you.

http://publicservice.columbus.gov/content.aspx?id=30850

Neal Wydra

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin