Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,641   Online: 713

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hc 110 dilution

Shooter
    Medium Format

hc 110 dilution

Forgive me if this is a basic question. I just got a new developing tank and on the bottom it indicates that I should use 650ml of liquid if I am developing two reels of 35mm film. I have reverse engineered the HC 110 data to determine that approximately 6ml of concentrate should do one roll of film.

So am I correct in assuming that the most economical use of the developer would be to use whatever dilution gives me 650cc with at least 12ml of concentrate?

And if I want to use the unofficial dilution H (1:63) I would need to use at least 768ml of liquid in the tank, is that correct?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't see how you're arriving at your figures.
    If you need 650 ml to fill your developing tank and you're using Dilution B (which is the most common), Dilution B is 1+31, so that's 650/32 = approx. 21 ml of concentrate and 630 ml water.
    To use Dilution H, that would be 650/64 = approx. 11 ml of concentrate and 640 ml water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use HC 110 diluted 1:100, 20C, 26min total Dev time, 1min constant initial agitation, 10sec every 5 min thereafter, for HP5 and Tri-X exposed at asa400. I usually wait to fill my 5 reel tank, use 15ml of developer and 1500ml water. (Yes its close enough, lets not get anal about dilution ratios.)
    Art should unsettle the comfortable, and comfort the unsettled.

My photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    I don't see how you're arriving at your figures.
    If you need 650 ml to fill your developing tank and you're using Dilution B (which is the most common), Dilution B is 1+31, so that's 650/32 = approx. 21 ml of concentrate and 630 ml water.
    To use Dilution H, that would be 650/64 = approx. 11 ml of concentrate and 640 ml water.
    which figures do you see a problem with? Would I not need at least 12ml of concentrate to develop the two films?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    6 ml concentrate per roll is what Kodak recommends - once one reverse engineers their capacity recommendations.

This no doubt includes a significant margin for error.

There are many who indicate they have had success with less, but I wonder how many would either notice small amounts of localized exhaustion or report it when they encountered the problem.

The need for developer does vary with the type of photograph - high key photos of polar bears in snow storms developed for extra contrast need more than photographs with lots of moody shadows.

To the OP: Your calculation appears correct. It is probably the case that dilution H would also have enough capacity, as Terry Christian's calculation for dilution H indicates that almost 12 ml of concentrate would be in the tank. Of course, if your rolls have those polar bear shots on them ....

If I may suggest a compromise - Jason Brunner recommends a 1 + 49 dilution on his website. It works really well.

The site appears to be temporarily unavailable, but he added the same info to the APUG articles here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/...de-simple.html

FWIW, Jason's 1 + 49 dilution is essentially the same as official dilution "E" (1 + 47).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    okay that's great, thanks Matt. 1+49 / 1+47 seems like a good compromise between B and H

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recommend the following site for Hc-110 usage. http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    I use about 50:1 dilution, and have gone down to 5ml per roll with no problems (250ml for one roll).
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I use about 50:1 dilution, and have gone down to 5ml per roll with no problems (250ml for one roll).
    With my 1:100 dilution, I'm using 3ml per roll.
    Art should unsettle the comfortable, and comfort the unsettled.

My photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I do this too. I have never seen any problems.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin