Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,534   Online: 1090

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Presoak?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I'll have to give it a try sometime. Does a presoak effect development times? Will everything be the same with the addition of the presoak, or will I have to do a search for the new time?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    The few times I have not pre soaked the Ilford film I use, I have had problems with it. When I presoak I have not had a single problem, other then brainlessly taking the whole top off and dumping the developer with out thinking of what I was doing.
    -------

What kind of problems?
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    It also makes it easier to avoid air-bells through the crucial first part of development, since the film is already well wetted with water.
    I was having issued with air-bells on some 35mm a while back. Started adding two drops of Edwal LFN to the developer, and haven't had any since.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRosa
    -------

What kind of problems?
    Streaks, uneven development, air bubble marks. These problems only occur when I do not presoak. Reading through the thread, I am not the only one who has troubles when they didn't presoak, ask the others what their problems were as well.
    Non Digital Diva

Images
    I was definitely having problems with nasty uneven development in my Jobo before taking their advice on a _long_ 5 min. pre soak. Solved the problem entirely.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRosa
    -------

What kind of problems?

For me it's not a fear of possible problems, if I don't presoak my film I am garranteed to have uneven developement. I use Ilford film and think that maybe this data sheet is intended for roll film only. Your format says that you shoot 8x10, I'm surprised that you haven't run into this problem yourself. Obviously your mileage may vary depending on agitation, developer and film.
    "If I only had a brain"-Some badly dressed guy made of straw in some movie I think I saw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I learned to presoak 35mm and rollfilm 40+ years ago, and have been doing it ever since, notwithstanding Ilford's more recent suggestion not to. Whether that's why I've never had air bells or uneven development, I'll never know. But, the concept seems reasonable.

On the flip side of the coin, however, I don't presoak sheet film prior to developing in trays.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on the developer you are using also. When I use Diafine I don't presoak, I think it would actually interfere with the development since it is a two bath developer. Everything else gets a presoak.
    Scott Stadler

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Streaks, uneven development, air bubble marks. These problems only occur when I do not presoak.
    Same troubles here. It taught me to slow down and doo all of the proceedures. I have not tried not presoaking with sheet film. It is such an inconsequential amount of time I really do not see the hassell. My prep takes exactly five minutes which is my presoak time. Why do I presoak for five minutes? Because that is as long as my chemical prep and jog to the fridge for a frosty, nonalcoholic, beverage to drink while processing takes.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started using a presoak with MF some years ago when I first used Dixactol and I've used it ever since regardless of film/dev combo. I'd heard about this technique many years back but had initially shyed away from using it because (I heard) it lowers the contrast of the neg. Something to do with the water inhibiting developer take up in the first instance. Personally, I don't see much, if any, difference in contrast between a pre-soak/non pre-soak neg. However, I can say that it does give me even development with no air bells. Regards, BLIGHTY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin