Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,400   Online: 1152

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Presoak?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blighty
    I started using a presoak with MF some years ago when I first used Dixactol and I've used it ever since regardless of film/dev combo. I'd heard about this technique many years back but had initially shyed away from using it because (I heard) it lowers the contrast of the neg. Something to do with the water inhibiting developer take up in the first instance. <snip>
    As you suggest, it seems that one should increase times slightly if using a presoak, which may be why some people report lower contrast. Ilford recommend reducing their "small tank" times by around 15% if using continuous rotary agitation, but Jobo say to use "small tank" times if using a 5 min pre-soak. That seems to say to me (assuming they are both right, which seems reasonable) that a pre-soak needs increased time over non-soak...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In "The Negative," Adams stated that it takes 20 seconds for one bath to replace another. If you take a good development time at 10 minutes and subtract 20 or 30 seconds from it, the difference will be about 1/3 stop at most. - Not enough to make a good neg into a bad neg. I always presoak and calibrate my times accordingly. Presoaking removes the antihalation layer and allows the developer to enter the emulsion more evenly. I also agitate the first 30 seconds as well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've always pre-soaked all formats of Ilford film and would not take a chance any other way. It just makes sense to me to swell the film let it drain then add chemistry. With the film swollen it seems to me that it will recieve the developer more even to the film base. Not just vertically but to the thickness also.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Images
    Good Evening,

Being unaware of any real disadvantages with pre-soaking, I continue to do it. An advantage I think was not mentioned above is that a pre-soak of the proper temperature will help adjust the tank or drum to the appropriate developer temperature. (In my case, it will usually cool, since I prefer my indoor environment to be a bit above 68 degrees.)

Konical

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin