Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,854   Posts: 1,582,921   Online: 984

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello, when handling chemicals it is helpful to use these thin nitrile gloves which are used by doctors for examinations. You keep the feeling and they prevent you from getting stains and allergic reactions. You should get them at your drugstore they are not expensive.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Looks like it is intended to be a non-staining Pyro developer. So why Pyro? Sorry that was off topic

Pyrogallol ("Pyro") is the dangerous chemical in this mix, not Phenidone. Pyro is toxic. Be careful when mixing it.
    Jochen, I always use nitrile gloves even just developing.

Michael, because I like the end result look and I don't like stained negs (or don't want to deal with any issues with printing/scanning.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Stone- unless you have a shit scanner and shit software, there really aren't issues with scanning stained negatives. Almost everything I've posted in the last six months that's black-and-white was developed in Pyrocat HD, a staining developer, and all posts have been negative scans.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Phenidone should ALWAYS be stored in a glass jar. It is easily damaged by heat and moisture.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Phenidone should ALWAYS be stored in a glass jar. It is easily damaged by heat and moisture.
    Thanks, why they sent it in a plastic bag I'll never know...

And everyone, including flying camera, I'm going to try this, I know you all love the stain thing but I want to try this first. Thanks.

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    If you spill any, just snort it
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you snort phenidone the visions of your trip will all be in black & white.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    please don't snort chemicals or take the advice of irresponsible people.
    Besides alcohol I really don't do any drugs, I don't even smoke pot, the worst I do is breathe fixer in through a chemical breather mask LOL

But yes, I'm sure some foolish person might follow that advice, but at the risk if sounding like a horrible human being, good, let them do it, survival of the fittest, they can have a Darwin Award...

Shooter
    Medium Format

Snorting......................

Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    please don't snort chemicals or take the advice of irresponsible people.
    I have snorted photo-chems and must say, with proof, that it can and is hazardous to ones health. My normal home darkroom is setup perfectly for every step. Including ventilation! Where I ran into trouble was the little make-shift one I established at my cottage, which I now have closed. The one at the cottage had no ventilation and was in a small room in the basement. The trouble began about 3 or 4 years ago. I had about ten rolls of 120 B&W film to process and had to go north to the cottage for 2 weeks. So, I took the film with me, but was very low on developer. I thought what the hey, I'll just bring my chemicals along and mix up there. Problem solved? No, problem just starting! I had my normal stuff like Sodium Sulfite, Potassium Bromide, Sodium and Potassium Carb, etc. I also had the "good stuff", Pyrocatechin, Phenidone, Metol, Hydroquinone and a few other odds and ends. Well, I mixed up three different developers so I'd have a normal stock up there. I'm not going to say what they were, because I don't know for sure which one or chemical was responsible. Anyway, about 3 or 4 days after mixing I noticed my nose was running more than normal ( over 60 yrs old it seems to run a little more anyway), but didn't pay it no heed. I about 5 days my nose seemed to still be running only now it was becoming raw and sore. By about the 7th day I had developed a sore on the inside tip of each nostril. Now I started trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I started back tracking and came to the conclusion that I had inhaled something in that little makeshift darkroom. I went to a med station up near my cottage and told them everything and they seemed to agree with my findings. It took way more than two months for my nose to heal up and it was not fun. Those sores would form scabs and then the scabs would break off when I would blow my nose. Results, bloody nose. I don't know if it was the Phenidone I was heating in Glycol or the Metol or the Pyrocateghin. Heck, it could even be the Hydroquinone. I learned my lesson the hard way and now where a mask even in my well vented home darkroom. One thing they said at that med station was that now I might be much more prone to the same chem again. Well, I ain't going through that again if I can ever help it. When you have one foot on a banana peel and the other sliding into a grave you don't want to make that banana peel any slippery than it already is. JohnW Sorry, but snorting is no joking matter to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    The last batches of Phenidone I've bought came in plastic containers and it seems to keep perfectly - one batch is at least 10 yeras old and there's no difference to the 1962 Phenidone I used (made by Ilford). Phenidone keeps well and lasts over 50 years.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin