Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,455   Online: 968

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Phenidone handling when the packaging sucks

Hey guys, so I'm attempting my first real "from scratch" developer.

It includes Phenidone.

I've been told its highly toxic and to be very careful. The formula only requires a little bit so I got the small amount, which ended up coming ins baggie... Not a container like everything else. So this is a sealed Baggie but not exactly re-usable. So what do I store it in since it didn't come in a bottle like everyone else?

How concerned should I be that I have to move it from one container to another?

I am also told to only work with it outside because the dust could get on other things in the house, so I would like to ere on the side of caution and do this right.

Thanks guys...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone, you have been misinformed. It is not all that toxic. Handle with care, and you will be OK.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Stone, you have been misinformed. It is not all that toxic. Handle with care, and you will be OK.

PE
    Thanks PE but what about storage from the Baggie.... Lol

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The thing to do is mix up a concentrated solution, for example 2 grams per 100 ml glycol. Now you add 10 ml of that solution to every recipe that calls for .2 grams phenidone. That one 100ml bottle will give you 10 liters of that recipe. And you don't have to muss with powder again for a long time. It will keep for years in propylene glycol. Different folks mix different concentrations, but you don't want it TOO concentrated or you have to measure very small amounts. 2-5% is probably best. I like 2%.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    And like PE said its not that toxic. Wear a mask, weigh/measure/mix it outside if you want, and commence to not worry.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks Wayne, I'll look into getting some glycol then, I'm looking and there's different kinds of glycol... there's Polyethylene Glycol Which looks like it might be a powder, Propylene Glycol which looks to be a liquid, and Diethylene Glycol which also looks to be a liquid...

any of those the right one?

And this glycol won't interfere with any other chemicals I might mix it with?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Thanks Wayne, I'll look into getting some glycol then, I'm looking and there's different kinds of glycol... there's Polyethylene Glycol Which looks like it might be a powder, Propylene Glycol which looks to be a liquid, and Diethylene Glycol which also looks to be a liquid...

Thanks.
    You could use diethylene glycol, or alternatively plain isopropanol. Most formulas use phenidone in the 0.1 - 0.2 g/L sort of quantities, so a 2% phenidone stock solution is used typically in 5 - 10 ml per liter of working developer.

The phenidone that you have, is it Dimezone S? That would be the best form, to my knowledge. I cannot obtain it cheaply where I am, but you guys in the US can order from B&H, Photo Formulary etc. 10 grams goes very far indeed. You can use it in ascorbic acid or PQ type formulas, and it really rocks for the amount one uses.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    This is the formula, I got it from a guy on RFF when I was researching the best way to develop Kodak XX because I like the way it looks and can be shot at 400 which I'm hoping to make my replacement for Neopan400.

"RD-201: Phenidone-Pyrogallol true two bath
    Hello

Phenidone with pyrogallol is superadditive and allow to make true two bath developer. Bath A have low acidic pH and developing start only in bath B. Developer increase speed by 1 stop and produce very sharp images.

RD-201 developer
    Bath A
    Sodium sulfite 50g
    Phenidone 0,2g
    Pyrogallol 6g
    Sodium metabisulfite 6g
    Water 1l

Bath B
    Sodium sulfite 30g
    Sodium carbonate 15g
    Water 1l

Developing time 3min in each bath. "

So that's what I'll be doing. I think the pyrogallol is also "dangerous" right?

I really liked the results of the images shown and want to give it a try. Also most of the chemistry for this formula is also for the ECN-2 color neg developer I need so if this doesn't work out I can use the stuff for that so it won't be wasted.

Any other tips will be appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like it is intended to be a non-staining Pyro developer. So why Pyro? Sorry that was off topic

Pyrogallol ("Pyro") is the dangerous chemical in this mix, not Phenidone. Pyro is toxic. Be careful when mixing it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

Thanks.
    I use propylene glycol, which is cheap and readily available at feed stores and pharmacies. I'll let the chemists answer your last question, but AFAIK it does not interact or interfere with anything in photographic formulas.

Just don't make the mistake of a recent poster and try to mix too concentrated a solution which would be difficult to measure anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin